MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
sigmasmokers
On the road to being a farker

Default Another Rib Question?

I have learned the 3-2-1 method for ribs on this site but what is the concensus on what you do when you wrap your ribs. I have seen to spray them down good, but do any of you sauce them when wrapping and then again when finishing them back on the fire out of the foil?

Modified Bandera,2 WSMs
sigmasmokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Most of us probably just spray with juice or mop since we tend to serve the ribs "dry" with sauce on the side. If you are going to serve the ribs wet there's no reason to not sauce them when you foil.

However, during the final -1 if you're over a hot fire or flames the red sauces will burn. If you just put them back in the 250 cooker it's not a problem.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
sigmasmokers

I am asking more for competitions than anything. I assume you are not since you cannot serve sauce on the side. Do you mind offering you advice for competitions?

Modified Bandera,2 WSMs

Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

I spray them heavily before wrapping them, so they can steam a little, then pull them out for the last hour or so, sauce them lightly, and let the sauce carmelize. Yummy.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
chad

I don't use 3-2-1 at competition. It's guaranteed to overcook the ribs.

It's more a 2-2 and check 'em or a 3-whatever in foil. If the rack is bending and passes Phil's toothpick test I just spray and hold 'em. I always shoot for the 5 hour window (that way it's almost impossible for them to be undercooked!) but wind up hold for at least a couple of hours.

I usually glaze the ribs as we prep the box. We are considering starting to use more sauce. You could still sauce in the foil but it would be a bit messy at the prep table.

Another thing Tim and I have deciced: when in doubt overcook! We've seen more problems with tough meat (underdone but not under cooked or unsafe!!) than with over done. The exception might be brisket since the judges are going to have the slice fall apart while they try to pick it up. Ribs - you may lose points for fall off the bone but not as much as with tough ribs -- ****this is just my opinion and what I've observed***

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 04-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
sigmasmokers

When you say "hold em" does this mean just keep them foiled and coolered until ready to cut and box?

Modified Bandera,2 WSMs

Old 04-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasmokers
When you say "hold em" does this mean just keep them foiled and coolered until ready to cut and box?
I believe so.....

I don't spray real heavy when I wrap........seems others do. I sauce after unwrapping and reintroducing to the smoke.

Chad is right that 3-2-1 will not get you competition turn in ribs. 2-2 and start checking the bones.....need a slight tug.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Help me out a bit, maybe elaborate. Bear in mind we are speaking generalities:

If 3-2-1 is 'about right' at home, why is it preferable to go distinctly shorter at competition? This seems to directly contradict the other statement that "when in doubt overcook". Since both kick and the DF seem to agree "that 3-2-1 will not get you competition" quality, what am i missing? Is it a case of simply more time under foil or am I missing something else? Thanks.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Solidkick

KCBS judges tend to look for a slight "tug" of the meat separating from the bone.

3-2-1 tends to give you "fall off the bone" ribs, which is fine for home, but won't score as well at competition.

Chad will have to explain his thought...........

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
chad

"hold 'em" means just that - whatever it takes to keep 'em "right" for turn-in. Sometimes the dry cooler - sometimes a warm spot on/in the cooker, sometimes under foil and sitting in a sunny spot!! I can't define it more than that because it varies from time to time.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
Help me out a bit, maybe elaborate. Bear in mind we are speaking generalities:

If 3-2-1 is 'about right' at home, why is it preferable to go distinctly shorter at competition? This seems to directly contradict the other statement that "when in doubt overcook". Since both kick and the DF seem to agree "that 3-2-1 will not get you competition" quality, what am i missing? Is it a case of simply more time under foil or am I missing something else? Thanks.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse! 3-2-1 is guaranteed fall off the bone and usually a rather abysmal score if having to turn them in.

Choosing overcooked vs undercooked are relative to competition. Slightly overcooked will not be quite fall off the bone but you certainly don't want the judge to shake it!! :D Undercooked is not unsafe but is definately not that "tug" to get it off the bone - more like it needs to be knawed on! In this case the judge will tend to cut some slack on the slightly overdone and hammer the "tough" ribs (at least that's the effect this has on me as a judge).

This leads to the membrane issue. I always remove the membrane in competition. It's not worth the worry and you cannot remove the membrane from a cooked rib without farking up the rib. At home, this doesn't matter so do as you please! :D I remove the membrane at home too because I think (note: THINK/Believe) it improves the ribs. Again, opinions vary and they are like ******* - we all have 'em. :D

These are judgement calsl that competitors make every time they go out. At home I don't sweat it and just head for 3-2-1 - though I usually do something like a 2-2 or a 3-2 and eat!! Other times I will hold the ribs and then sauce 'em and put 'em back on the fire. My wife prefers sauced, or wet, ribs and so that's how I make them for her.

It's all relative to what you like at home. In competition we're looking for the "perfect" rib in relation to what the judges expect. For the record FBA judges are trained nearly identically to KCBS - same criteria for the meats, etc. Biggest difference is the demon lettuce!! No ambiguity in FBA - absolutely NO garnish allowed in the box. :D

Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #12
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
"hold 'em" means just that - whatever it takes to keep 'em "right" for turn-in. Sometimes the dry cooler - sometimes a warm spot on/in the cooker, sometimes under foil and sitting in a sunny spot!! I can't define it more than that because it varies from time to time.
I guess thats what seperates the Men from the Boy's
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #13
chad

I'm just trying to get a payday!! :D

Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

As the newbie, will someone point me to the 3-2-1 method as I like fall off the bone, and I can't stay sober long enough to compete!!!
Noah
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux
As the newbie, will someone point me to the 3-2-1 method as I like fall off the bone, and I can't stay sober long enough to compete!!!
Noah
Noah-
Take a look at the "Road Map" at the top of Q-Talk.
Scroll down a bit for "pork ribs" by Scott (KCQuer)

TIM