MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Jester
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mobile BBQ Food Truck

Fellas,

After doing small catering gigs for some time now, I'm kicking around the idea of getting a food truck built out. My goal is to go mobile and have everything with me. I considered a trailer, but would prefer to go the truck route.

In Houston you can't have propane on the food truck and hit the central business district. My preference is a charcoal based system so I can hit downtown during lunch. Since I won't be frying nor needing a grill/griddle, this frees up more space in the rig. I'm thinking a freezer, refrigerator, prep/steam table, smoker (2 if I could fit them onto the truck), a 3 bay sink, and 1 hand sink. I could use a Cambro for carrying sides from the commissary.

Has anybody here ever done, if so do you have any advice you could share with me?

Hell if I'm completely off my rocker, let me know!
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

I would want to make dang sure you're properly vented if going with charcoal pits inside the truck. Wouldn't to have an extinguisher or two either
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

good point James. He'll need a full fire supression system.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

I purchased a truck on eBay over the winter and it's working out pretty well. If I need to take the smoker with me, I pull it on a separate trailer. It has a Viking range that's been converted to propane, Charbroil grill, triple sink, hand sink and full size fridge (no freezer) and serving window curbside. In Iowa you don't need the triple sink if you have daily access to a inspected kitchen with the proper sinks. Might check with the HD in TX on the exact requirements since you already have the commissary going. I went the truck route so I did not have to buy a vehicle to pull a trailer. Best of luck to you!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Jester
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourrubonbbq View Post
I would want to make dang sure you're properly vented if going with charcoal pits inside the truck. Wouldn't to have an extinguisher or two either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
good point James. He'll need a full fire supression system.
Thank you both for mentioning this point. I'll be talking with the health department tomorrow and this is something that will be covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDoctor_1979 View Post
I purchased a truck on eBay over the winter and it's working out pretty well. If I need to take the smoker with me, I pull it on a separate trailer. It has a Viking range that's been converted to propane, Charbroil grill, triple sink, hand sink and full size fridge (no freezer) and serving window curbside. In Iowa you don't need the triple sink if you have daily access to a inspected kitchen with the proper sinks. Might check with the HD in TX on the exact requirements since you already have the commissary going. I went the truck route so I did not have to buy a vehicle to pull a trailer. Best of luck to you!
Do you by any chance have pictures of your truck? I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

if you use a truck and your engine goes out... your ****ed... if you have a trailer and your truck goes out... you can use another truck or even rent one and still make the cake.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Jester
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
if you use a truck and your engine goes out... your ****ed... if you have a trailer and your truck goes out... you can use another truck or even rent one and still make the cake.
LOL - I like your logic bro. Dealing with the Houston health department is liking fighting bureaucracy in Washington. Nobody wins but them...

I might go with the food truck and a trailer as well, per your point. Need to get the scoop so I can make decisions.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I remember when I used an old roach coach before and an old frito lay van.... now trucks never break down when you have nowhere to go right? LOL both times, when I had troubles with the towing truck when I owned a trailer I could always borrow a friend's truck and got extra labor for a cut of the proceeds and even rented an enterprise truck for like 24 a day....

I did want a chopped off bus once. It was already shopped at the rear. I was so bummed I did not buy it... it had a hitch so I could tow and extra trailer or smoker if I wanted. Sure it could suffer from the same fate as a truck but what a billbaord it would have been... for both the business and the DOT, LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wouldn't a smoker on board have to be NSF?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Rich, over at Gator Pits in Houston, just built a vending trailer. You might wish to talk to him. First quality stuff at his shop. I have no idea on his prices.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I remember when I used an old roach coach before and an old frito lay van.... now trucks never break down when you have nowhere to go right? LOL both times, when I had troubles with the towing truck when I owned a trailer I could always borrow a friend's truck and got extra labor for a cut of the proceeds and even rented an enterprise truck for like 24 a day....

I did want a chopped off bus once. It was already shopped at the rear. I was so bummed I did not buy it... it had a hitch so I could tow and extra trailer or smoker if I wanted. Sure it could suffer from the same fate as a truck but what a billbaord it would have been... for both the business and the DOT, LOL
A not for hire and you need not worry about the DOT... and for towing join good sams for rv,s best towing i ever got...