• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Starting a Fire on Medium Sized Pits Under 8000 Lbs

Nice vid... if i every need to fire a huge smoker, i know where to look for instructions...

Papa

I pick up my pit tomorrow and it has gas assist in the fire box also do the same rules apply Donnie

Hey Donnie I watched your Rib video also. You need a broadcast spreader for your Dalmation dust.
484-1.jpg

On the briskets we literally dump them in the salt and pepper blend - if we want to reduce the salt (which is really not neccessary - we rub a little after dumping)

For the Ribs - I am so doing this man. LOL. We often dress our stuff on tables at an event then hose down once they are on the pit. I can see this working well - Right on the table. LOL -

Hey Donnie I watched your Rib video also. You need a broadcast spreader for your Dalmation dust.
484-1.jpg

I pick up my pit tomorrow and it has gas assist in the fire box also do the same rules apply Donnie

Well as you all know my Meat Mama 300 has a gas assist but that long firebox.... I often use it to start the pit of course... I usually place a bag of charcoal against the starter and lay more in a two inch bed across the rest of the grate so it burns along as I go. Then I pile wood on top of the coal pile and keep slanting wood as I go away from the gas assist.

The Brazos does not have a gas assist and it has a quite ****ty (not original) firebox. But the oil and paper candle is a great and quick way to start the pit. It really is set and forget.

So, from the time you first lit the paper to the pit being ready to put meat on, how much time passed?

Awesome Donnie. Though I do not have a big pit like that I always wondered how guys get them going. Nice vids and always helpful. I was spreading weed and feed on my lawn the other day and I can totally see your rub working perfectly in one of those spreaders :-D

So, from the time you first lit the paper to the pit being ready to put meat on, how much time passed?

Time Stops when you run those things. I refuse to answer for the same reason someone years ago gave out IT temp for Done Brisket. It soon spreads like wildfire and then everyone thinks that that time unit is applicable in all situations.

I did give several clues as to what to look for.

Start with everything open

When paper has burned out and you have a rolling log fire that is over the lip you can gradually close the fire door (which in some smokers increases air speed blowing in the box.

Keep adding wood to catch fire and close all doors except the one or two by your stacks.

Then when you get the pit to 200-250 close the remaining door and the fire door.

Wash and oil rub (with water and oil mix) your pit.

When the pit is at 300 and pretty clean smoke you are ready. This comment is less about the meat and creosote and more about the integrity of your fire... does it have enough coals and fuel?

A lot of this is also dependent upon your fuel condition in the box.

Great Job! What a Freakin' Pit!

I could feed the entire town with that one.

Thanks I have always wondered how people got those big pits up and running.

Brett (bdbrother) came down once from Irving and I broke a cardinal rule.... i PUT IN maybe 60 butts into the pit while it was only 200 degrees... then when I finally DID get the temp up it poured rain and the temp outside went down 20 degrees... We gave up at maybe 10 hours and we wrapped them and finished in the hotbox at 190 all night.

Back