MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #4156
Toploader
On the road to being a farker

Sizzlepig, your probly ok as its not touching any food and nowhere near the 420 degree melting point of the zinc. I went down to the local muffler shop and got some scrap tube for free(guy was nice enough after i told him what it was for.)...I was gonna do the same thing but opted not to have anything galvy on the uds.
Toploader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #4157
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlepig View Post
Well, I will be starting the build on my first UDS tomorrow. This has become such an addiction that I'm afraid that it will not stop with just one. I will take pics as I go and post them on here. One question. I know that I should not use galvanized parts inside this thing but is a galvanized smoke stack ok? The temps at the exaust end should not be hot enough to cause problems, right? Thanks in advance and thanks for such a great forum.
Sizzlepig.
The stack isn't in the UDS so I think your worrying about nothing. Look at Bubba who has built many and uses plastic drain pipe. I have two to build on Saturday and I'm going to use plastic on them. I like the idea of being able to unscrew the stack when I'm covering the UDS for storage.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #4158
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Nice idea about the spikes, but wouldn't they get wobbley after a while pulling them in and out??

I think I'll be going with four for stability, if something can happen it will with me!!

Remembering back it looks evenly devided between 3 or 4 and u-bolts just add even more holes.......

Scored a cooking grate at K-mart for $5. Just need another one(I'm going for a double grater). Checking on a stainless dommed lid from Arctic grill.

Paul B
Paul: Actually, the spikes get tighter due to soot buildup.

I also lookied into an Artic stainless steel lid. I recall they quoted me $30 or $40 and another $15 for shipping. They're located in mid MO.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #4159
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlepig View Post
Well, I will be starting the build on my first UDS tomorrow. This has become such an addiction that I'm afraid that it will not stop with just one. I will take pics as I go and post them on here. One question. I know that I should not use galvanized parts inside this thing but is a galvanized smoke stack ok? The temps at the exaust end should not be hot enough to cause problems, right? Thanks in advance and thanks for such a great forum.
Sizzlepig.
I used 2" PVC on mine and painted it to match the purple and yellow on the drum( LSU)
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #4160
N8man
Babbling Farker

Speaking of PVC pipe, is there a danger of chemicals leaching out from the Pipe as it is heated from the Hot Exhaust?
Just Wondering???

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #4161
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Paul: Actually, the spikes get tighter due to soot buildup.

I also lookied into an Artic stainless steel lid. I recall they quoted me $30 or $40 and another $15 for shipping. They're located in mid MO.
Ya, $27 plus shipping. Got tired of trying to find a domed lid cheap. But, my UDS is a $5 garage sale score. Oh did I mention it is SS!! I'm working toward an all SS set up. Have even found a SS fishing rod holder at a garage sale for $1.00 to hold my Mary Poppins rain top . If my neighbor gets off his butt and brings home some expanded SS metal for my fuel holder it will be totally SS.

SS top should be here sometime next week.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #4162
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
Speaking of PVC pipe, is there a danger of chemicals leaching out from the Pipe as it is heated from the Hot Exhaust?
Just Wondering???
May explain my behavior the last couple of years......

No.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #4163
Sizzlepig

Default Started My Build (With Pron)

I dont have a welder so I had to improvise on my charcoal basket. Thank God for stainless steel zip ties. I was able to get to the point where I painted my finished drum and my basket. I will put all of the parts on tomorrow or this weekend. I need to figure out a lid. I do have a doner Weber but of course the drum is slightly larger so I will have to do some bending of the lip. I will post more pics as I complete this project. Thanks again for this site and all of the great info for this build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire basket.jpg (64.9 KB, 1111 views)
File Type: jpg Fire basket II.jpg (62.6 KB, 1114 views)
File Type: jpg Fire basket III.jpg (38.8 KB, 1110 views)
File Type: jpg Fire basket Bottom.jpg (44.9 KB, 1113 views)
File Type: jpg Drum top cut.jpg (41.1 KB, 1112 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Hole Cut.jpg (40.1 KB, 1113 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Burning.jpg (53.1 KB, 1105 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Really Burning.jpg (52.4 KB, 1107 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Sanded and Ready For Paint.jpg (48.3 KB, 1108 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Paint Drying.jpg (44.5 KB, 1108 views)
Sizzlepig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #4164
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Lookin good so far.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #4165
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Ya, $27 plus shipping. Got tired of trying to find a domed lid cheap. But, my UDS is a $5 garage sale score. Oh did I mention it is SS!! I'm working toward an all SS set up. Have even found a SS fishing rod holder at a garage sale for $1.00 to hold my Mary Poppins rain top . If my neighbor gets off his butt and brings home some expanded SS metal for my fuel holder it will be totally SS.

Paul B

Website for Artic?
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #4166
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Paul B
Paul, could you put up a pic of the lid when you get it and the address info? I live in Kansas so the shipping shouldn't be to bad. Thanks
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #4167
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Nice cooker sizzlepig!

I have never heard of stainless steel zip ties.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #4168
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Website for Artic?
www.arcticproducts.com

Paul B

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #4169
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy View Post
Paul, could you put up a pic of the lid when you get it and the address info? I live in Kansas so the shipping shouldn't be to bad. Thanks
Will do... www.arcticproducts.com

Paul B

Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #4170
Sizzlepig

Rich Parker, Home Depot has the SS zip ties in the electrical section. I will see how they hold up. Here is a pic of the finished UDS during the seasoning burn. I still have to install the handles and the bottle opener.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drum smokin.jpg (32.7 KB, 966 views)
Sizzlepig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker