• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pre Easter UDS Rib Roast

HAndyman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When my wife this "Prime Rib" I almost didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't.
But it is a choice roast with the ribs cut off and tied back on, Perfect for the first try on the UDS

Rubbed with seasoned salt, and a seasoning blend

Damm, I gotta mess with the photobucket thing, stay tuned.

When my wife this "Prime Rib" I almost didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't.
But it is a choice roast with the ribs cut off and tied back on, Perfect for the first try on the UDS

Rubbed with seasoned salt, and a seasoning blend
Damm, I gotta mess with the photobucket thing, stay tuned.

Excited to see the results!

Looks like it's gonna be delicious. Don't understand the whole cutting off the rib then re-tying thing. Good luck.

Ok

sorted out the bucket

onto the UDS with whatever was left-over in the basket, lit off with about 1/4-chimney of RO lump

tried to keep it about 300, and pulled at about 130.

Before letting it rest

All done

Turned out really nice, will be doing this again.

I'm doing one too today in my BDS, so I'll add some photos as well. What is your weight? I have a massive time chart for barbecue temps (225°-250°) that can give you an idea of what to expect. Still cook to internal temp, not the clock..... but knowing the guesstimated time can help.

Also note that drums are notoriously hotter in the center of the grate than the temps reported at the edge of the cooker using a short stem thermometer. Mine are 40° to 50° hotter in the center than at the edge.

Looks like it's gonna be delicious. Don't understand the whole cutting off the rib then re-tying thing. Good luck.

I think it's a convenience thing when folks are slicing. I still untie mine, season the ribs and the roast, then tie back on. Later on I'll snip the twine to give that portion of the roast some color and then leave the ribs on the pit another hour or more to tender them up.

EDIT-Just refreshed my browser and realized your cook is ahead of mine. Looks good. I'm just getting my charcoal loaded. Hehehee.

I'm doing one too today in my BDS, so I'll add some photos as well. What is your weight? I have a massive time chart for barbecue temps (225°-250°) that can give you an idea of what to expect. Still cook to internal temp, not the clock..... but knowing the guesstimated time can help.

Cook times for loins like a PR aren't determined by weight, but rather by thickness of the loin, chamber temp, IT of the PR when you put it in the smoker and what finished IT you prefer (rare, mid-rare, etc.).

Cooking at 225 and presuming you go from the fridge to the smoker fairly quickly, figure on about 5 hours (including rest time) for just under mid rare (pulling at about 127ish). Adjust times as necessary for higher chamber temps and/or finished IT temps

Cook times for loins like a PR aren't determined by weight, but rather by thickness of the loin, chamber temp, IT of the PR when you put it in the smoker and what finished IT you prefer (rare, mid-rare, etc.).

Cooking at 225 and presuming you go from the fridge to the smoker fairly quickly, figure on about 5 hours (including rest time) for just under mid rare (pulling at about 127ish). Adjust times as necessary for higher chamber temps and/or finished IT temps

Correct, and that's why I mentioned "what to expect" and "guesstimate". Here is the information I have been collecting for the last 4 or 5 years. Some times are my own and others are sent in by readers of my cookin' site. I'm well over 200 responses and at one point did some slight averaging of the reported times when folks cooked the same weight of roast. I've found that even though a prime rib is about the easiest thing to barbecue, many folks get nervous putting a $70 to $200 hunk o' beef on the pit. But, time is a guideline.... trust your thermometer.

NOTE: Using the 220°-250°pit temps, and a smaller boneless roast, you can expect a 5° to 8° rise (carry-over) in the internal temperature stated below while the roast is resting on the cutting board.. A larger bone-in roast might rise 8° to 12°. All the temperatures reported below are when the roast is still in the cooker, so take into account the rise.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°
5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°
5-3/4 pound roast - 245° average pit temp - 3 hours 45 minutes to reach 127°
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°
7 pound roast - 250° pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123°
7 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
7.9 pound roast - 230° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 5 minutes to reach 125°
8 pound roast - 250° - 275° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 122°
10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°
19.5 pound roast (prime grade) - 240° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 25 minutes to reach 124°

Correct, and that's why I mentioned "what to expect" and "guesstimate". Here is the information I have been collecting for the last 4 or 5 years. Some times are my own and others are sent in by readers of my cookin' site. I'm well over 200 responses and at one point did some slight averaging of the reported times when folks cooked the same weight of roast. I've found that even though a prime rib is about the easiest thing to barbecue, many folks get nervous putting a $70 to $200 hunk o' beef on the pit. But, time is a guideline.... trust your thermometer.

NOTE: Using the 220°-250°pit temps, and a smaller boneless roast, you can expect a 5° to 8° rise (carry-over) in the internal temperature stated below while the roast is resting on the cutting board.. A larger bone-in roast might rise 8° to 12°. All the temperatures reported below are when the roast is still in the cooker, so take into account the rise.

11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
19.5 pound roast (prime grade) - 240° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 25 minutes to reach 124°

I find this collection of times extremely useful. I do want to add that cooking times do depend on several factors. I typically cook a 7 pound roast at 225*. Invariably, I am ready to pull (at 225*) after 3.5 hours. I did an experiment with one of these a while back and basically trimmed the entire outer layer of fat off. I have a few fat-phobic kids in the household and I thought it would be interesting to try, plus there is all the seasoning that they tend to trim off. That particular roast was ready to pull after only 2.5 hours -- that's a huge difference in time and I do blame that lack of fat layer for it.

I find this collection of times extremely useful. I do want to add that cooking times do depend on several factors. I typically cook a 7 pound roast at 225*. Invariably, I am ready to pull (at 225*) after 3.5 hours. I did an experiment with one of these a while back and basically trimmed the entire outer layer of fat off. I have a few fat-phobic kids in the household and I thought it would be interesting to try, plus there is all the seasoning that they tend to trim off. That particular roast was ready to pull after only 2.5 hours -- that's a huge difference in time and I do blame that lack of fat layer for it.

I think the 6-1/2 to 7 pound roasts (3-rib) are the most popular as they can feed 4 or 5 people. And, the 3:20, 3:30 or 3:40 cook times are not too long for folks considering the results. Many folks with more guests will just opt to cook two roasts, putting one on 30 minutes earlier for the folks that like medium. Plus, two roasts also gives you 4 end cuts.

I guess a shorter cook time on a standing rib roast trimmed close on the fat proves fat is a good insulator..... Maybe that's why I wear a vest or light jackets during the winter. :mrgreen:

My apologies. Nice chart. When I saw "I have a massive time chart for barbecue temps (225°-250°) that can give you an idea of what to expect", I pictured one of those "Cook X cut of meat for Y minutes per pound at Temp Z" kind of charts :-D:-D

My apologies. Nice chart. When I saw "I have a massive time chart for barbecue temps (225°-250°) that can give you an idea of what to expect", I pictured one of those "Cook X cut of meat for Y minutes per pound at Temp Z" kind of charts :-D:-D

Oh heck, no apologies needed.... Actually I'm not that good with numbers and it's kind of funny but my chart was born out of necessity. However... when it comes to diagrams.... I really try to be crystal clear. :mrgreen:

maddenonbrisket.jpg

Back