MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #16
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
The payoff . I'm no chicken king, barely a poultry prince.

Same as regular 350* chicken. I need to figure out what's wrong here. Oil or butter may have helped some. If all else fails I can bust out the drill.
Prince of poultry... that's pretty good.

Drill holes in what?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #17
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Can a big easy owner help. Not sure it cooking right. Seams weak. 30 min in and it's cooking but not like the u tube videos I just watched. Can anyone tell me or show me a pic of the burner on? When I peeked at it flame looked smaller than I thought it should be. I'm not hearing any sizzle
Easy weedhopper, You too can achieve Big Easy Foo. Yes the Big Easy Master can help.

Seriously, here is the gig. This is what you have and how it cooks:

The trick to these rigs are that they release the heat from the flame by cooking with infrared heat. That was hard for me to wrap my head around at first. Yes, they get hot but not really cooking hot. A small blue ring flame is all they use. It's for heating the SS wall of the cooker. They use very little fuel.

From looking at your pic's, it appears you have that bird setting on a beer can chicken rack or the like. You did right by putting the breast up but one thing I have found is that the bird has to be at least 1" off the bottom of the basket for even cooking.

TBE really does cook by temp, not time. I've done birds with an OAT from 20*F to 100*F. In other words, Summer and Winter. Wind is not a big factor due to the way the burner is enclosed and it also helps to keep it clean.

The mesh lid is a big deal. It's made to reflect IR heat back into the unit and control the amount of color on the skin and also helps during very windy conditions. It is a valuable tool.

How to tell when it's done to perfection:

Your rig may or may not have come with an analog thermometer. It was supplied with the original unit.

You have to have a thermometer placed in the deepest part of the breast not close to the bone. If it's accurate, pull the bird at 165*F.

That's all there is to it.

TBE is rated up to a 16 lb turkey. I've done many higher and lower. I have Cajun fried maybe over 1000 turkeys in peanut oil and will put the bird from TBE up against any for taste.

Good Luck! Don't sell this rig short.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post

Drill holes in what?

Drill out the holes in the burner for more heat. My old man did it on one side of his gasser to sear steaks.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
smoke ninja

Thanks Toast, I'll try raising the meat some next time. Maybe some oil or something to help brown. I watched those u tube vids and most if those farkers burned the bird so forget them. I know it cooks infrared but have you ever checked or can you check the temp inside the cooker? 340 seems low. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. The only thing I know for sure is I'll be eating poultry tomorrow.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #20
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Thanks Toast, I'll try raising the meat some next time. Maybe some oil or something to help brown. I watched those u tube vids and most if those farkers burned the bird so forget them. I know it cooks infrared but have you ever checked or can you check the temp inside the cooker? 340 seems low. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. The only thing I know for sure is I'll be eating poultry tomorrow.
Don't even pay attention to cooking chamber heat. It's all about the IT of the meat. Time is not a factor either. Proper use of the mesh lid for browning and the IT are all that matter. Took me awhile to get used to it too. On a 70*F day, a chicken may take around 45 mins to an hour and a 13 lb. turkey around 2 to 2hr 45 mins to hit proper IT.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #21
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Don't even pay attention to cooking chamber heat. It's all about the IT of the meat. Time is not a factor either. Proper use of the mesh lid for browning and the IT are all that matter. Took me awhile to get used to it too. On a 70*F day, a chicken may take around 45 mins to an hour and a 13 lb. turkey around 2 to 2hr 45 mins to hit proper IT.
My 7.5 lbs bird took just over two hours and with the lid on the whole time was never close to burning. I will raise up the bird some next time.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #22
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

Smoke ninja (shadow and all), try some wood chips to see what you think. I bought a cake ring to use as a riser and wood chip ring, I wasn't a huge fan of the scent they created. I have posted once or twice about my tbe. I assume you can look up posts by users on this forum but I'm not checking ATM from my tablet.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #23
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

one thing to think about with low flames on any propane rig, the new valves on the tank have a check valve in them that slows down the gas a safety deal, always open the valve REAL slow and this helps, if you see a lower than normal flame, close the valve and open it again slowly

Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #24
sam3
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with using the ring below the basket. It's supposed to help from what I've read that on a forum that discussing CB products.
BGE XL, BGE Mini, MAK 1 Star #385, 22.5 WSM, Weber Platinum, mini-WSM, PBC, Bradly OBS w/Auber & La Caja China
sam3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #25
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
one thing to think about with low flames on any propane rig, the new valves on the tank have a check valve in them that slows down the gas a safety deal, always open the valve REAL slow and this helps, if you see a lower than normal flame, close the valve and open it again slowly
As long as it's a clean blue flame the regulator is working properly.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #26
Head Foolz
On the road to being a farker

Don't look now but that bird is planking. Next up, twerking!
[COLOR=darkorange]Webber[SIZE=2] Smokey Joe aka; NINJA TURTLE[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]BBQ Guru CyberQ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][B]Thermapen[/B][/COLOR]
Head Foolz is offline   Reply With Quote