• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM Thermometer Question?

BIG_JON_STUD

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello brethren. I recently purchased a 22.5" WSM and can't wait to fire it up this weekend! I saw a few pics where other WSMs had other thermometers installed on them. Is the stock thermometer not accurate? I would also like to know if anyone purchased one of those grommet kits for a maverick thermometer from cajunbandit.com. I am looking to purchase one, but don't really feel comfortable drilling a hole in my WSM.

Last edited:
Hello brethren. I recently purchased a 22.5" WSM and can't wait to fire it up this weekend! I saw a few pics where other WSMs had other thermometers installed on them. Is the stock thermometer not accurate? I would also like to know if anyone purchased one of those grommet kits for a maverick thermometer from cajunbandit.com. I am looking to purchase one, but don't really feel comfortable drilling a hole in my WSM.

Typically the dome thermometer will be off from your actual GRATE temps, which is why many opt for a Maverick. In addition the remote feature with alarms is great when you want to sleep or have other tasks to accomplish while smoking. Some also have had the factory thermometer "off" calibration on arrival and there is no way to recalibrate it.

I used the eyelets from BBQ Guru which use the same screw hole as the rails inside that hold the grates in place.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Eyelet-Assembly-for-WSM-(2-per-pack).html

(NOTE THAT THESE WILL NOT WORK WITH THE ET-732 PROBES as indicated on the page)

Some also have had the factory thermometer "off" calibration on arrival and there is no way to recalibrate it.

I've heard the same, sometimes off by as much as 30 degrees.

My WSMs (all pre-2009, no factory thermo) get outfitted with either a Tel-Tru thermo, or the ones sold by Brethren Spicewine Ironworks. If you choose to replace the factory thermo, make sure you buy one that can be calibrated.

I'm no handy man with tools, but I managed to drill a hole in my WSM to fit a Cajun Bandit grommet. I applied a layer of painter's tape on each side and worked the drill very slowly. I placed the hole just below the level of the top grill. Both of my Maverick Et-732 probes fit neatly throught, and I bet I could put two more through, if I had the need.

I put the BBQ Guru ones on my 22". I put them through the holes that hold the grate bracket. No need to drill. Only problem is the new ET-732 probes wont fit. The old 73 work great.

Take the stock thermometer off and test it to see if it's accurate. I must have gotten lucky, mine reads a little over 210 in boiling water, however, it's reading in the lid is still different than the temp at the grate.

I put the grommets from cajun bandit on mine. Not a big deal, put a piece of painters take mark it and drill it. Cheaper alternative is to go to Lowe's and get a grommet that is on a lamp the power cord runs thru. Drill bit and piece's to do this should be around 10 bucks.

I think I'm going to get the eyelets from bbqguru. I already have the old 73 maverick. I was thinking about getting the 732. Thanks for all the great infromation.

Back