Time Line Sheets...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an example or even use these for comps? I've been kickin' around the idea of making up one for each meat in order to keep track of everything.

I have one... single page 6 Columns
Column 1 is time. Starts out at 1 hour intervals than the intervals get to 5 minutes around turn in times.
Column 2-- smoker temp/ activity-- ie. 225d add wood...
Column 3 chicken... any action needed to be taken on chicken
Column 4- ribs, 5 pork... etc.

I include any action that would need to be done if I wasn't around. It does not include recipe's... I store those on separate sheets for each category of the day.

I do them when I have different turn-in times or if there is an extra category. But that is also why I don't do extra categories... Otherwise, I do the same thing at the same time at every contest....

Brendan, you sure you're not a engineer with notes like that??? :cool:

its in excel... keeps in line with the real job...

(its actually more complicated than that, but I'm embarrassed to describe... haha)

Brendan has it in a secret code as well just in case someone else got their hands on it:rolleyes::tongue:

We have used a timeline for about two years now and in my opinion, it's the most important tool we take to a contest. We started using it when we competed in our first invite/open back-to-back weekend where we knew we'd be zombies halfway through the contests.

We have been using a timeline for some time. Just helps keep us focused on what we are doing.

How about a small whiteboard?

We use an excel spreadsheet, with the first sheet tied to separate table for each meat. That way if I decide to change something, I only have to change it once on the table, and the summary is automatically adjusted. I use time as the common key, and sort by that column.

For our first and only comp so far, I set up a timeline in iCal on my mac. I was able to set it up so it made a noise 5 minutes before we were supposed to do the next thing. Helped tremendously.

We have used a timeline for about two years now and in my opinion, it's the most important tool we take to a contest. We started using it when we competed in our first invite/open back-to-back weekend where we knew we'd be zombies halfway through the contests.

Used one during our first comp and couldn't agree more with Neal. It was invaluable to keep me on track. Send me a PM if you would like a copy of mine.

We use a printed timeline - one page for Friday, one for Saturday. Very helpful to have such a crib sheet, especially if you have less experienced team members who need to do something on their shift while you are sleeping.

I'd post a copy but it's full of proprietary stuff. Easy to make your own though, just write down every operation you perform in order, from meat check-in to trimming, rub, inject, turn, foil, sauce or whatever. Then work backwards from the standard turn-in times and assign a time to begin each operation. After you go through the schedule a couple times tweaking things you'll have a good cheat sheet. Simply adjust everything up or down appropriately when a comp has non-standard turn-in times.

A lot of people PM'ed me for a copy of the timeline. Because of the amount of people I might have overlooked a few by mistake. If I didn't send you a copy; just PM me again with your email address. Also, If you could not open the Microsoft Word file let me know and I can send it a different way.

Great ideas all! I like the idea of a separate sheet for each meat. I'm even thinking of laminating it and using a grease pen to write in the times. I may even go so far as to have a cheapo timer for each one as well...this is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again for sharing your sheet Craig. :p

Great ideas all! I like the idea of a separate sheet for each meat. I'm even thinking of laminating it and using a grease pen to write in the times. I may even go so far as to have a cheapo timer for each one as well...this is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again for sharing your sheet Craig. :p

We use a timer with our time-line. With all the brain cells I have lost over the years it helps get us on track. Cheap investment if helps you.

Back