Your forgotten smoker

2 x 22 WSM
2 x 26 WEBER KETTLE

All that stuff could appear too much for 1 Family.
Not in my mind: just rotate them!

Perfect timing on this thread. When I first tried smoking it was with a homemade clay pot (Alton Brown) electric smoker. It had sat at least 5 years in storage until this weekend when I got motivated to start cleaning out all of my storage cubbyholes (basement, 2 under the house, garage) in the hopes of making them more functional and useful. It qualified as forgotten about/ignored for sure.
Broke one of the pots when I accidentally dropped a hacksaw on it, sent the other home with my mom full of day lillies, used the cart to store some rock salt and mulch, chucked the heating element and hope to be able to salvage the heat diffuser as a cast iron griddle. So it mostly got re-used, although only the griddle may cook again.

My UDS is now my forgotten cooker. I can't see me ever firing her up again unless I change it into a bird barrel.

My XL green egg isn't seeing anywhere near the amount of work it once did. Any large smoked meats go into my Shirley. But, for rainy days, the XL still goes indirect from time to time.

My small egg still gets 80% of my cooks out of convenience. I can fire it up and start cooking within 30 minutes. It burns very little fuel for the hour or less typical weeknight cook for me, my wife and our 1 year old.

WSM is not used but not forgotten. I could probably keep it if I wanted to, but hate seeing her sitting there looking all sad. Probably time to put her up on Craigslist. No offers on the sales part of the forum.

My first was a Brinkmann Gourmet. Used it twice and then moved on to build a mini WSM and picked up a 22" kettle.

BTW, any of y'all want to give me your unused WSM, I'm game. :p

4A84A4D2-2F8E-4CBA-AEDA-E746C09467CB.png.jpeg

My Mini WSM has been hiding under it's cover for over a year. I have a plan for it where the SJS part of it it will get more use..... The ECB cowering in a corner of the barn needs to meet the scrap pile as I haven't seen it in yrs.

My wsm and otg are pretty neglected. I haven't used my wsm in about two years. I may use my otg once during the summer. I should probably find them a better home...

My 18" weber kettle is the cooker I used the longest ago (right around a year when I used it at a steak contest). When I'm not bustin out my sf my egg is my next most used at home since small batches are easy and it is always fueled up and ready to go.

I might not use my WSM a ton, maybe a couple times a year, but it is my light weight easily transportable smoker. Though most of the times if I have to go somewhere I still bring my sf

Funny you mention it, I found a smokey joe in my storage area a couple of days ago. Made some really good burgers on it last night.

I would say it's my mini. After I got the Akorn I used it once. I took it out two weeks ago and made some killer baby backs though so I'm glad I have it.

Smokers

Don't think I'll be using this one much more, unless I need a smoke in the rain.
She sure is a beaut.
DanB

Last edited:
My large BGE is the least used cooker I have. Been over two years since I cooked anything on it.

The Noname is gonna go to a good home. It's a little rusty but I'm cleaning it up and letting it go. At the time it was the only thing and my BIG TIME cooker.
Sometimes I wonder how on earth I got so much done on it as I did.
I'll miss it.
Now I'm sad.

Its been a while since the UDS and the mini saw some action. I cooked a brisket on the large egg over the weekend and prefer the UDS to it so will make a come back. The mini is great for wings during football season so it just is in hibernation.

The Noname is gonna go to a good home. It's a little rusty but I'm cleaning it up and letting it go. At the time it was the only thing and my BIG TIME cooker.
Sometimes I wonder how on earth I got so much done on it as I did.
I'll miss it.
Now I'm sad.

Thats how i feel about the wsm. I always meant to use it but have just gone so far in a different direction with my cooking. Now i have no real desire to cook with it.

It was my first real smoker (ive always ran a kettle) after some crappy vertical that lasted a year. I learned so much while using it. First cook was pork shoulder. Lots of first on that little 18 inch smoker. And i crammed that thing full all the time....

.....now im sad :sad:

I hope i find it a good home, i got one fella in mind already.

Forgotten BGES: Large, small and mini.

Replaced by XL & medium BGEs, Blackstones, and Weber 26 and wsm 22,

My Copper top perfomer doesnt get anywhere near the love it should since i got my PBC. ive been thinking of buying a rotisserie for it so i can spin while i smoke on the pbc.

Back