MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Reverse flow?

Anyone here ever use a reverse flow cooker? If so did you/do you like it or not and why? It would seem to be an ideal set up but if so why don't more of us have them?
Dave

Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Can't say that I have one Dave, plenty of Brethren here do and hang on for a few and the posts should be forth coming. Haven't heard or seen any reverse flow owners that didn't love theirs!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't owned one but have cometed against Lang 84 and Lang 60 models. HomeBBQ.com (Kevin) used an 84 for several years with great success. I was thinking of buying one but never could get an answer by phone or email - so I ordered my Kingfisher.

The reverse flow "technology" is sound.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

I used one last year at a cookoff when my pit just decided it wouldn't work (long story). We stoked the fire and filled the firebox, it ran 250 on the far side and 225 at the firebox for 5 hours without being touched. We stirred the coals and added about 3 splits and it ran for another 4 hours. I try to get my hands on it anytime I cook bigger than my pit can hold.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I love my little Lang, and the reverse flow design is perfect for this sized cooker. However, for the really large cookers, I think that the traditional offset works just as well.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Do you consider the Backwoods Smokers to be reverse flow? Smoke enters the top and leaves from the bottom.

I like it.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I love my Lang 84. Is a reverse flow smoker any better? NO.
Always remember, it's the cook, not the cooker.
I can smoke meat just as good on my little Brinkmann PitMaster Deluxe.
If you did a taste test between the 2, you would not be able to tell the difference.
The only thing different is that it has a steel plate running the entire lenght of the smoker and you can use that as a grill like in a restuarant. You can't do that with most other smokers that I know of. Other than that, not any better than any other style smoker.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got a 250 gal reverse flow cooker by Bubba Grills. Yes it runs hot on one side and cooler on the other (usually about a 20 degree difference). I LOVE it. I can move meat around to different temperature zones at my leisure. You can also adjust the lower temp side by raising the neck of the trailer; you can also lower the temp by lowering the trailer neck ( go figure!). It does require a good bit of attention though! Not much walking around during comps. I didn't know if I would like mine when I first got it. I went through a little bit of a learning curve, but know I am very happy.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

I am giving serious consideration to buying a reverse flow for larger cooks. I think they work good, but as has been said, it's the COOK, not the COOKER!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm planning on building one . I wonder why you get a 20 degree difference!!!
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

The temp differential can be minimized by slightly raising the tongue end on a lang. By doing so it allows the hotter air to settle in this end. However on the bottom shelf near the fire box it will be a little hotter there from radiant heat produced by the baffle. I like the fact that some areas cook hotter.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
The temp differential can be minimized by slightly raising the tongue end on a lang. By doing so it allows the hotter air to settle in this end. However on the bottom shelf near the fire box it will be a little hotter there from radiant heat produced by the baffle. I like the fact that some areas cook hotter.
What if it was designed so that the exhaust was lower than the top rack a few inches. Do you think that would help even out the temps a little?
Dave

Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't necessarily want the same cooking temps across the entire cooker. It CAN be achieved by raising and lowering the tongue though, but I enjoy have different temperature zones to cook in. My 250 zone is large enough to cook anything I need. I can also smoke chicken in a 275 zone while smoking a boston butt in a 250 zone. I didn't like it at first but its nice when you don't want to smoke everything at the same temp.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
safeflt1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Reverse Flow cooker

Mo...I bought a Lang 84 last March and have had nothing but GREAT success cooking on it. The cooker/ smoker area is huge and the smoke translates very well thruout the entire cooking grates (both upper and lower) and no matter how much I am cooking on it (I cater many events)! The smoke flavor with the reverse flow as well as the temperature remains pretty constant thru the entire chamber. I have been thrilled with the way the reverse flow operates and cannot say enough good things about it. I must admit that I was leary when I first started looking at buying one since I had no experieince using one, but Ben Lang took as much time explaining the proper way to use it before I purchased it and it is a awesome cooker. I agree with the other posts about the temp variance and how it can be controlled by raising the the tongue up or down. My cooker usually runs about 15- 20 degree different from end to end.

Charbroil offset

Lang 84
safeflt1 is offline   Reply With Quote