MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #211
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Candy, while we have you here, is there any concern/response to the scoring errors mentioned in this thread? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #212
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Candy, while we have you here, is there any concern/response to the scoring errors mentioned in this thread? Thanks!
Responses related to issues at Glasgow have been addressed personally to those that filed an "official" complaint with KCBS. This isn't something that I feel comfortable with addressing here. I can assure that issues were quickly addressed and resolved by folks at KCBS. Results should be correct at kcbs.us now. Any team that cooked this contest can get corrected team detail and tally sheets from the office.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #213
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Responses related to issues at Glasgow have been addressed personally to those that filed an "official" complaint with KCBS. This isn't something that I feel comfortable with addressing here. I can assure that issues were quickly addressed and resolved by folks at KCBS. Results should be correct at kcbs.us now. Any team that cooked this contest can get corrected team detail and tally sheets from the office.
Candy, the greater issue is that there were scoring/calculation errors and that has now created doubt as to whether there are accuracy issues within the scoring program itself or if it was due to operator/input error. We are all certainly aware that mistakes will happen due to human error and we all know the GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) principle. We also know that KCBS will correct those problems including corrections to monies being properly distributed should that be necessary.

However, we also all want to be confident that the calculations being made within the program itself are correct and accurate. That is the question that most are likely to have after reading of the problems at the Glasgow event.

I don't care to know all the details of what happend at Glasgow and don't expect you to spell them out for us. But, I do expect that if the problems at Glasgow were due to issues with the scoring program itself and not operator/input error, that you would address that matter publicly and in detail.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #214
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I can appreciate not commenting on individual team's scores and resolutions related to their inquiries. What can you tell us about steps to prevent errors such as these from happening in the future?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #215
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

As usual, Vince finished ahead of me and with a more complete entry.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #216
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I went over to kcbs.us and had a peak. Apparently my 8th place finish is now a 10th! I have managed to learn how to blow points in the week after my cook is over! Do I just call up to the office to get an explanation of my scores changing after the fact?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #217
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I talked to Karrin up at the office and she got me squared away.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #218
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
Candy, the greater issue is that there were scoring/calculation errors and that has now created doubt as to whether there are accuracy issues within the scoring program itself or if it was due to operator/input error. We are all certainly aware that mistakes will happen due to human error and we all know the GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) principle. We also know that KCBS will correct those problems including corrections to monies being properly distributed should that be necessary.

However, we also all want to be confident that the calculations being made within the program itself are correct and accurate. That is the question that most are likely to have after reading of the problems at the Glasgow event.

I don't care to know all the details of what happend at Glasgow and don't expect you to spell them out for us. But, I do expect that if the problems at Glasgow were due to issues with the scoring program itself and not operator/input error, that you would address that matter publicly and in detail.
The Glasgow issue was not an issue with KCBScore. The contest has been re-entered multiple times, results as posted have been duplicated exactly. The program has integrity, it works as expected. If there were issues with KCBScore, I would say so. I have confidence that what happened at Glasgow was an aberration and steps are in place to rectify same going forward.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #219
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
As usual, Vince finished ahead of me and with a more complete entry.
On the other hand, you said it just as well but with far fewer words!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #220
BrotherInArms
On the road to being a farker

I may upset some folks but here's a thought. How about everyone is upset with table 4 or judge 6 or whatever the case may be just keep it to themselves. I have read every post on this thread. Some were good and others not so much. You would think that there were black helicopters flying over BBQ contest with sercret service agents talking into a judges earpiece on how to score the event.

Why can't some of you just understand that there is a new score sheet. Period. They aren't using comment cards for right now. Period. That some days you will turn in the same product and get 1st at one comp and 20th at another. Sometimes your food is great and some days it just flat out stinks. How about we all just embrace the changes that are taking place and see how it goes.

It's a new system. There are going to be mistakes. Deal with it and carry on.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #221
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

^^^Cause this is a discussion board.

And people are discussing the new format and talking about how it can help them get better, or not. And they are simply saying what they would like to see or not.

But that could just be a guess.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #222
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The Glasgow issue was not an issue with KCBScore. The contest has been re-entered multiple times, results as posted have been duplicated exactly. The program has integrity, it works as expected. If there were issues with KCBScore, I would say so. I have confidence that what happened at Glasgow was an aberration and steps are in place to rectify same going forward.

So just to be clear, you are saying that the same information was entered into the new KCBScore system multiple times and it output the same results?

Any chance that the same data was entered into the old system and the results matched?

Also you are confirming that the issues from Glasgow were in no way a bug within the software and no reasonable person would think that it was a software bug given the situation?
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #223
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes

No -- weighting changed slightly with KCBScore. Many times the results would be close, but not necessarily every time. KCBS did run KCBScore at a number of contests pre-release to check this. This is why BQwin and KCBScore can't run side by side. This is why a date certain was picked to switch scoring programs at all contests.

Yes

Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #224
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Straight, simple answers.

Candy Sue serves the KCBS membership well my friends.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #225
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yes

No -- weighting changed slightly with KCBScore. Many times the results would be close, but not necessarily every time. KCBS did run KCBScore at a number of contests pre-release to check this. This is why BQwin and KCBScore can't run side by side. This is why a date certain was picked to switch scoring programs at all contests.

Yes

My point is that running the same data through the software is no way to confirm that the scores are actually correct, just that the system will act in the same manner consistently.

I am guessing that someone actually did the math by hand to confirm that the results from KCBScore are accurate, but you saying that KCBScore spits out the same results is VERY different than saying that it spits out the CORRECT scores.

So can you also confirm that the scores coming out of KCBScore are accurate and that has been verified by several different sources. Not just running the contest data back through KCBScore. Again, running the contest data through KCBScore multiple times DOES NOT confirm that the scores are accurate, only that KCBScore acts consistently. Which is a good thing and important, but it does not confirm the accuracy.

Also providing the method used to confirm the results were accurate would be great.

thanks
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote