Work Sharp Ken Onion on sale for $86

Doug Holser spells it out. Got to have the burr. As stated, one side of the blade until you feel the burr. Then repeat the same # of stokes on the other side. THEN your ready for alternating stokes for stroping the finished blade.

The burr ends up being the edge of your knife. What happens, as you remove metal from one side, the metal gets really thin, as it meets the other side of the knife. this is your apex. It will get so thin, that it bends over creating the burr. Then you move to the other side, and remove the burr creating your actual edge.

If your knife is sharp, you are probably creating a small burr, and just cant feel it. Try pulling a cloth across the edge, it should hang on the burr. If your knife will cut paper, I would call it good. With the exception of skinning knives, and filet knives, you really don't need or want a razor edge. There isn't enough meat behind the edge, and it will not hold it's sharpness as well. For most cooking uses, a good sharp knife that stays sharp, is better than a razor, that dulls quickly.

I picked one up during that sale as well. Interested to see how it does vs my ChefsChoice 1520. The ChefsChoice works really well but I was thinking the Ken Onion would work really well sharpening axes and other tools too. It's sitting in my garage right now. Too cold to sharpen tools but just right for the brisket I just threw on.

Anyone got any tips for small blades? Just did my swiss army knife and it was alot more difficult than anything else I've done. The long blade was as easy as any other blade I've done, but that little blade was a pain. Thinking for it I just need to freehand instead of using the guide.

My Ken Onion knife sharpener arrived today. I noticed that I did not have a threaded nut in the bottom for mounting. Maybe that is why they were cheaper. I don't have any intention to mount it, I just noticed that mounting point is not there.

I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference. I've been irritated by some coworkers lately talking loudly on their speakerphones with their doors open, so it was nice to use a power tool at my desk as a little revenge.

I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference. I've been irritated by some coworkers lately talking loudly on their speakerphones with their doors open, so it was nice to use a power tool at my desk as a little revenge.
I'm glad I'm not your coworker, that would make me nervous! :shocked:

My Ken Onion knife sharpener arrived today. I noticed that I did not have a threaded nut in the bottom for mounting. Maybe that is why they were cheaper. I don't have any intention to mount it, I just noticed that mounting point is not there.

Now that you mention it, neither does mine.

Purchased mine before the sale, and just inspected it. I don't see any mounting holes on the bottom. I looked pretty good. The manual claims it is there. I see what looks like a 1/4" threaded hole on the side of the front pulley. Not sure how that would even work, since that is the moving pulley, but I am wondering if they moved the mount point. Luckily, I wasn't planning on mounting it. Curious though, does anyone have one with a mounting hole in the bottom?

No mounting hole here either. I am guessing it was a full blown design change that didn't get documented.

No mounting hole here either. I am guessing it was a full blown design change that didn't get documented.
Or a mistake and that's why we got them so deeply discounted. not sending mine back though. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference.

If it didn't turn into a razor blade, you did something wrong. Every blade I've sharpened on the KO is shaving sharp, and that includes the POS freebie paring knives from the Farmer's Union.

If it didn't turn into a razor blade, you did something wrong. Every blade I've sharpened on the KO is shaving sharp, and that includes the POS freebie paring knives from the Farmer's Union.

I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed. I might have to pick up some knives from Goodwill to practice on so I don't mess up any knives that I actually plan on using.

Back