150 gallon offset build

Did the door spring out when you cut it? If so, how did you get it back into shape?

I was nervous about it springing out, heard several times that it would. So when I had my firebox cut off, I crawled in the cook chamber and welded 3 gussets in place to prevent it.

Laid out my door and cut on the line in the places where the gussets needed to go, so I could see some daylight when in the chamber and know where to put them. It worked, but the cook chamber pulled in pretty bad at one place. I used a turnbuckle to push it back out, and put a grate slide in that location.

Did you use an angle grinder or plasma cutter to cut the ends off? Nice build so far!

Did you use an angle grinder or plasma cutter to cut the ends off? Nice build so far!

I used an angle grinder, took many cut off discs. Wish I had a plasma. To make the cuts straight, I wrapped 6” metal roof flashing (comes in rolls) around the tank and taped it to where it overlapped perfectly. Then I had a straight edge to follow with the grinder. Surprisingly this went better than I expected.

Same thing with slicing the wheels, used a piece of drop from a 20”. Used the flashing and cut away.

Last edited:
Your skills are way beyond mine. I like how it is not on a trailer but rather a backyard roll around patio cooker, Great job! When you finish and learn to cook on it you will be the Mayor of neighborhood!

Looks amazing! The exhaust looks perfect and I am sure will flow well like we talked about! Way better than Franklinstein....love the wheels!!! Way to go. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Nice job.

Looks amazing! The exhaust looks perfect and I am sure will flow well like we talked about! Way better than Franklinstein....love the wheels!!! Way to go. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Nice job.

Thanks man, glad I went with the 6”.

Thanks everybody for the comments. Each step of this build took me a while, it’s been a slow process but a lot of fun, and at times frustrating. I have very little time with 4 little kiddos. Some days I’ll just stare at it and think, others I’ll get some things cut, and some days I work my butt off on it and things start coming together. The wheels and front end took me 3 weeks, I had never done that before (make wheels or turning components). And my welds need improvement, but luckily I can grind off the worst looking ones.

Got grates done, and finally the firebox door all finished. I added reinforcement to the grates, and put metal over the front slides so they can't tip after this pic was taken. Used a sawtooth vertical vent on my firebox, I had seen a few online and wanted to try it out. Works pretty good. Just need a handle for steering the front and paint, then I can burn some wood in this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3890.JPG
    IMG_3890.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 313
You have a very proud Son in one of theose photo's!

Well done. I just can't imagine doing anything like that...

Great work! Now you got me thinking about that upper rack. Very interested to see how your vent works too! Great ideas. Can’t wait to see this thing in action!

Back