• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How many butts?

G

ganso

About how many butts would I need to feed 150 people. Thanks, Pat

With no other info, i'd go 1/3 lb PP = 50 lbs cooked x 2 = 100lbs raw butts. :biggrin:

YMMV

With no other info, i'd go 1/3 lb PP = 50 lbs cooked x 2 = 100lbs raw butts. :biggrin:

YMMV

Well he is the official Brethren Calculator. Just make sure you account always for 10% over what clients tell you their numbers are!:rolleyes:

YMMSNV = Your mileage maybe should not vary:tongue::biggrin:

Hi Ganso,

I've got an event coming up for 175 and I'm cooking about 105 pounds of butts. I think that's probably much more than I need. But leftovers are always good and running out of food is ALWAYS bad!

I have a chef friend who cooks lots of butts for Farmers Markets and gets 70-80% yield. He brines them first - maybe that helps.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you a catering calulator that I use.

Have fun. Contact me anytime if I can help.

Frank

I did a church picnic last year and planned on 125 people. The numbers said about 14 butts. Way too much, but we took some of it to a couple families that were having funerals that week, and I took some to some companies to see if I could get some sponsors or catering gigs.

Well for me,

150 people

5.33oz sammies(Large roll)= 50lbs cooked X2 for shrinkage= 100lbs Raw pork

4oz sammies(small hamburger bun) = 38.5lbs cooked X 2 for shrinkage = 77lbs raw

Personally I like the larger portion and price that way, Makes me look better and any leftovers go to the customer so they are super happy.

Good luck with the cook.

Obvious point is that bone-in butts would have a lower yield than boneless. The butts we get at Costco are boneless.

The event we did last year served 300 people and we cooked up 160 pounds of butts.
There was plenty of leftovers but we also served chix thighs and ribs too.

Scott

I'm making 300 sammies, 4 oz per sammie, and plan to have 75 pounds of cooked or roughly 150 of uncooked, Yield is closer to 60 percent when doing large volume like that I have found. Scott

Back