300lbs. of Butts

warfrat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
That's how much I have to cook for my County's employee Thanksgiving dinner this year. Yep, ran my mouth too much about how good the new Stumps was. I figure the 223 will handle about 100lbs. at a time but I'm clueless about how to tackle this project. The luncheon is on a Wed. which by my calculations I will have to start cooking on Sun. to have a 100lbs. ready Mon., put another 100lbs on Mon to have ready on Tues,. and so on and so forth to have 300 ready by Wed. and just reheat the first two cookings on Wed. Anybody have any suggestions here? I've never done much catering so I don't known all the "tricks" for feeding large groups.
Thanks-Warf

You can vacu-suck the pre-done stuff or zip-loc in that short of time. You may want to use the oven versus boling in the cryo bags for this mass amount. Make sure you add some rub and apple juice to the pork you re-heat.

You can cheat by smoking your pork half way, then into the oven to reduce time with the batches also, shhhhh!

shoot, feeding over 600........
300 pounds, 55% retention = 165 pounds post cook weight.....1/4 pound per person....average....660 people......roughly.......

Roughly 20 UDS should do it. Maybe you can borrow 1 or 30 of Bubba's!:rolleyes:

This might be a good time to back up and punt. If you're really "clueless about how to tackle this project" I think you owe them the truth and get a little more experience before trying something that large.

40 butts at 7-8 lb. With 2 grates, you can fit 6 butts in a UDS. You can do it with 7 UDS's.

I think I'll build me a few more and go into business:twisted::-D

40 butts at 7-8 lb. With 2 grates, you can fit 6 butts in a UDS. You can do it with 7 UDS's.

I think I'll build me a few more and go into business:twisted::-D

Easy bro, he already placed his order. :biggrin: :twisted:

Let me fill you in on some Stumps cooking thoughts. I have a 223 and I would suggest using plenty-o-foil or pans, When you load that thing up with a bunch of butts you run a serious risk of flare up. Regardless of how may butts you place in the smoker at a time, put some pans underneath the butts to capture the massive amount of grease that will generate. That said, those pans will block a lot of the heat and you will drive yourself crazy with hitting your target temp. Then if you try to stoke up the fire, you run an even greater risk of flare-up.

My suggestion to you would be to start a bunch of the butts in the smoker and remove half of them once you wrap and place them in your kitchen oven, which should also accommodate four per rack. Place them in foil pans as well.

Get proper separation between the butts and they will cook evenly and efficiently, if you don't get spacing you will cook for twice the time you would cook for just one. Also do not waste your time opening the smoker. Just stick a probe into the butt nearest the hottest part of the cooker. Also, there is no need to mist the butts with apple juice or anything like that, that Stumps cooks very moist.

Just so you know, I cooked three butts last week and they create quite the mess. Therefore place as much foil as possible in the bottom of the smoker which can also be changed out as you cook. Do this stuff and thank me later.

Let me fill you in on some Stumps cooking thoughts. I have a 223 and I would suggest using plenty-o-foil or pans, When you load that thing up with a bunch of butts you run a serious risk of flare up. Regardless of how may butts you place in the smoker at a time, put some pans underneath the butts to capture the massive amount of grease that will generate. That said, those pans will block a lot of the heat and you will drive yourself crazy with hitting your target temp. Then if you try to stoke up the fire, you run an even greater risk of flare-up.

My suggestion to you would be to start a bunch of the butts in the smoker and remove half of them once you wrap and place them in your kitchen oven, which should also accommodate four per rack. Place them in foil pans as well.

Get proper separation between the butts and they will cook evenly and efficiently, if you don't get spacing you will cook for twice the time you would cook for just one. Also do not waste your time opening the smoker. Just stick a probe into the butt nearest the hottest part of the cooker. Also, there is no need to mist the butts with apple juice or anything like that, that Stumps cooks very moist.

Just so you know, I cooked three butts last week and they create quite the mess. Therefore place as much foil as possible in the bottom of the smoker which can also be changed out as you cook. Do this stuff and thank me later.

I'm with Tony, smoke a bunch for 4-6 hrs then finish in oven. You can then have more butts going at one time in different stages.
You got anyone close that you can borrow a cooker?? Because heating that much back up isn't gonna be easy either, and having extra cook space would help.

Back