MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Default Draper Valley Farms Chicken

I am curious as to what brand of chicken people are using for comps. I haven't gone down that road,,, yet. But I have noticed a significant difference between "Southern grown" and the local Draper valley, the latter being far superior to any other I have tried.
I recently bought a 6.5 lb Draper Valley roasting hen and couldn't believe how much more flavor it had than my usual cheapo chicken.
Are there comparable products down south? Is Lynden chicken available there? I
(From Lynden Washington)
(Draper Valley Farms)

Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Kroger brand...

Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

My favorite is 2 lb. Tyson birds in a 2 pack. Cut them up myself. No. 2 choice is Smart Chicken.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

I used smart chicken a good part of the year, then did a test cook against hy-vee brand country pride, side by side everyone liked the cheapo chicken .
Not that I do good in chicken though

Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i've done extensive chicken testing.

perdue's "all natural" wins every time in taste, tenderness, and moisture.

for comps, that is.

otherwise, it's hard to beat a good bell and evans.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

We always used Smart chicken this year...tried to find family packs (8 thighs) at least 3.5lbs - which wasn't always easy. Even then there was a fairly wide discrepancy in the sizes of the individual thighs. Usually only got 6 good trimmed thighs out of one family pack.

Oh and our results were great at the beginning of the year...not so much at the end of the year, and I don't think we changed anything.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I cooked Miller Amish Country Poultry last year and it did well.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

We used Draper Valley thighs and whole birds for the majority of our 2011 events because that is what our sponsor carries. We sucked at chicken this year.

I prefer Albertsons Family Pack Thighs, and the fattier, yellower and more hormones added the better for our Judges! Kroger and Safeway are next on the list - they are all Foster Farms B grade anyway.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Whoah! dude! is that what you been feedin us!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
We used Draper Valley thighs and whole birds for the majority of our 2011 events because that is what our sponsor carries. We sucked at chicken this year.

I prefer Albertsons Family Pack Thighs, and the fattier, yellower and more hormones added the better for our Judges! Kroger and Safeway are next on the list - they are all Foster Farms B grade anyway.