Caps rusted on UDS

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The other day I went out to start up my UDS and the pipe caps were rusted onto the nipples. It was so bad that I had to get a pair of channel locks and the jb weld holding the nipples in broke before the cap did. I just took the entire nipples out and threaded them back in when I needed to but in the future is there anything I can do to avoid this if I get new nipples and caps?

Ya need to use the thing more often:wink: Actually, I hit mine with veg , olive or peanut oil when the notion strikes.

I know, I really wish I could use it more. We have just been so busy the last 6 months or so I really haven't had any time.

I didn't think WD-40 would last outside over any decent period of time. I will start putting a little coat of veg oil on there though.

Same thing happened to me so now when I put them back on I only thread them like 1 1/2 turns.

Try using Brass nipples and caps.
Works here.:-D

The other day I went out to start up my UDS and the pipe caps were rusted onto the nipples. It was so bad that I had to get a pair of channel locks and the jb weld holding the nipples in broke before the cap did. I just took the entire nipples out and threaded them back in when I needed to but in the future is there anything I can do to avoid this if I get new nipples and caps?

My next UDS will have refrig magnets covering the holes

My next UDS will have refrig magnets covering the holes

Mine has the magnets covering the holes and works very well. I've seen all the posts about all the fancy ways to do air intakes but sometimes just the very simplest way to do the job is best.

I have most of the makings for another UDS and it will have magnets also.

Just throw some grease on the nipples before putting the cap back on. I'd recommend not using a food based grease, but an actual thick, mechanical-use type grease. No reason to worry about mold and decay, and it's not actually a factor for the cooking anyway. Just my $0.02.

What N8 Said LARD! LOL save some for the Biscuits though....

For those who are not familar with it, here is the description
"A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easy disassembly. Handles temperatures ranging from -60°F to 1600°F. The lubricant is salt, corrosion and moisture resistant and is ideal for marine use."

I figure a light coat on the threads should not cause a problem, probably safer than JB weld and will not get rancid.

Back