MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Meatlover
Got rid of the matchlight.

Question Question for Board Candidates.

Do any of the candidates have anything to financially or personally gain from being elected? Consultant, marketing expert, contest rep, contest organizer, bbq related business owner, or anything else that people may feel is inappropriate or conflicting.

If so, what would that be?

If not, how would you deal with potential conflicts?

How would you work to make sure other board members refrain from conflicts?
Meatlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatlover View Post
Do any of the candidates have anything to financially or personally gain from being elected? Consultant, marketing expert, contest rep, contest organizer, bbq related business owner, or anything else that people may feel is inappropriate or conflicting.

If so, what would that be?

If not, how would you deal with potential conflicts?

How would you work to make sure other board members refrain from conflicts?
I have no product, restaurant, or catering business to potentially benefit from service if elected. I'm a software/IT geek operating my own business, and have already stated publicly that I wouldn't touch KCBS issues in that area with a 10 ft. insulated pole. I spend money on BBQ and see absolutely no reason that would change within my lifetime.

It's highly unlikely that a personal conflict would come up in my case, but in the event that it did I'd excuse myself from discussing the issue as well as any vote.

I believe the board needs to develop a complete code of ethics with reasonable penalties for violations that are public and known in advance.

There are members serving now, that were elected under existing rules that some would consider to have a conflict of interest. I've been considering that and how to move forward. It's not as simple as it may appear.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with George on this as well. While I don't know all of the current board members as well as others I have been told that there are some current issues with some board members getting better contest rep assignments, working for marketing companies, and other businesses that could easily be looked at in a bad light. It appears that there are some companies in the BBQ world that get some very favorable treatment because of their connections and I don't feel that is right either.
Personally, I am in pharmaceutical research. I see patients in clinics here in Des Moines. Unless the KCBS BOD can help me find people with chronic diarrhea, ear drainage, or some other type of medical issues I don't believe that there will be any conflicts.
In terms of how I would deal with the potential conflicts, I like a signed agreement that would forbid a board member from conflicting situations. I agree with George that only so much can be done but some of the obvious issues could easily be addressed while other items that were previously under the table deals wouldn't happen anymore.
Once again, we are forcced to self police and maintain a personal and professional code of conduct that each KCBS member can appreciate.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Every board member signs a conflict statement and there is a code of conduct statement that every director signs. Personally, I do not believe that conflicts should be based solely on financial gain. For example, if a KCBS board member is also on the board of MBN, that could potentially be detrimental to both organizations.

As a person in a barbeque business and serving on the board of KCBS, I have done my utmost to keep separate my business life and KCBS. I've had many business associates not be aware of my position with KCBS until they join and read the Bullsheet. Until I am off the board, my company will not advertise with KCBS in any fashion.

In my opinion, greater potential for conflict arises from directors who make money in/at KCBS events. Since most board members are contest representatives, who as independent contractors are paid for their services, that by definition is a conflict. But all directors do sign a conflict of interest statement and being a contest rep is disclosed. Directors can and do abstain from vote and discussion on any issue with personal conflicts.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not a Rep or an organizer, I don't write books or hold classes, I don't cater or vend and I am not a permanent member of a cooking team, although I do cook once or twice a year with different teams. I have absolutely no way that I can make money from my involvement with KCBS or from BBQ in general.

To me, there should be NO WAY for a Board member, directly or indirectly, to profit from being on the BoD. This should include Reps getting "plum" assignments, sales of books or anything else that can't pass the smell test.

By the way Meatlover, could you pop on over to Cattle Call & introduce yourself? Maybe let us know something about you other than "goverment owned & operated" or "Anytown, Anystate" .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Candy Sue, it sounds like you are the type of person the membership can appreciate! I agree with your point about financial gain is more with directors that are reps. I would say this, it takes a great deal of courage and confidence to take the plush contest rep assignments as a board member and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was in one of their positions. The ability to pick and choose contests seems very conflicted. Many jobs have perks but at some point people are going to get fed up with not getting a chance to experience what others assume is theirs by title.
Interesting comments...
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Jeff_in_KC

Hang on there, Meatlover! Been over this once before... my organizing a contest is in no way a conflict of interest and I don't stand to gain a thing. Why are you lumping organizers into this? The contest that I put on with a friend of mine is all for charity and we don't make a dime off of it. You want to know what the conflict of interest is? A board full of REPS making all the rules that us cooks and judges have to play by then coming out and enforcing them on us at contests. I don't see how that's right but then again, no one asked.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Meatlover
Got rid of the matchlight.

[QUOTE=Jeff_in_KC;1849999]Hang on there, Meatlover! QUOTE]
You may have gone over it before and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you doing what you do as long as you are up front and honest. Don't get defensive, I asked a blanket question and don't need a grown man to treat another with that tone. I thought people could post on here without getting treated like dirt. I may be new here but I deserve a little respect.
I appreciate all the answers and everyone's time to write.
Meatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

LOL! If you took my reply as treating you like dirt, that's your issue, not mine. It was in no way intended that way. Maybe I should have taken offense - you did state that being an organizer is on the list of possible "inappropriate" positions for a board member.

If you want a little respect here, maybe you should take the time to get to know the forum and post a bit before jumping in and making a controversial statement in only your third post here and then calling someone out for responding in kind. Just sayin'...
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 11-14-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I'm not a Rep or an organizer, I don't write books or hold classes, I don't cater or vend and I am not a permanent member of a cooking team, although I do cook once or twice a year with different teams.
You judge KCBS competitions on a regular basis, correct? I'm asking because as some one who is neither an organizer, rep, nor permanent team member, I would like verification that you have some form of connection to the organization on whose board you hope to sit.

Thanks,

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

The whole thing about reps serving on the BoD is something that has always bothered me a bit and I'm glad to see it come up here in conversation. In my opinion, it really is the definition of conflict-of-interest. Folks in this position vote on contests to sanction, then turn around and earn a paycheck working as reps (or in the case of Sam's, as organizers) for those very same contests. I'm not saying that there is any form of collusion happening today, but the undeniable fact is that the potential for it is there.

I have no problem with people certified to be reps serving on the BoD as they generally have their thumbs on the pulse of the competition world, but I do strongly believe that they should abstain from performing any rep duties while they are serving.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
The whole thing about reps serving on the BoD is something that has always bothered me a bit and I'm glad to see it come up here in conversation. In my opinion, it really is the definition of conflict-of-interest. Folks in this position vote on contests to sanction, then turn around and earn a paycheck working as reps (or in the case of Sam's, as organizers) for those very same contests. I'm not saying that there is any form of collusion happening today, but the undeniable fact is that the potential for it is there.

I have no problem with people certified to be reps serving on the BoD as they generally have their thumbs on the pulse of the competition world, but I do strongly believe that they should abstain from performing any rep duties while they are serving.
I understand that concern as well as your views. Looking at your last paragraph, don't we negate many of the benefits of having Reps on the board if we cut them off from the teams and judges?

I understand that they can benefit, slightly, financially. My greater concern would be the manner in which they get their assignments. That process is now in the office to my understanding, and the goal is to serve the organizers and make everything as fair as possible.

I think it would be fair to take a look at the process and maybe put some safeguards in place, but I'm not willing to commit to banning a Rep from working contests. I think that's a net loss for KCBS.

Cook's have the opportunity to win money, and we aren't talking about banning them from cooking. I think a healthy board would have cooks, judges, reps, and organizers. With the proper safeguards, better communication, and scrutiny from membership, I believe many perceived issues of undue benefit go away.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
ModelMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
You judge KCBS competitions on a regular basis, correct? I'm asking because as some one who is neither an organizer, rep, nor permanent team member, I would like verification that you have some form of connection to the organization on whose board you hope to sit.

Thanks,

dmp
You wish to have verification? Dave is a dues paying memnber of the KCBS and wishes to become a director of the board to further the goals of same.
That is all that is required.
What you might not know is his tireless ambition to listen and discuss problems in the process. He judges 12 to 15 contests a year in a 4 state region. He is one of the most recognized and respected judges by cook teams in the midwest.

His biggest desire is to get judges to become more involved in the contest process and get the two groups to become a team instead of us & them.
He is constantly talking to judges trying to get them to come around the cook camps Fri. night to meet and visit with them to try and get a feeling for what's involved in cooking. Also, he trys to get them to stick around for awards to cheer on thier new friends and see how it ends as well.

I understand due to your location you not knowing of Dave and his "connection" to KCBS but rest assured his "connection" is above and beyond the norm of a dues paying KCBS member.
I believe he would make a excellent member of the board as he is what a member of a organization should be, careing and involved.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Excuse you. I was under the impression that Dave was a candidate for an office and was willing to run as a candidate and answer questions to convince me that I should vote for him. I wasn't aware that I was forbidden to ask questions. I wasn't aware that I should vote for people simply because they are members of this forum. I wasn't aware that there are those who feel that some one who is a member of KCBS but not associated with competitive BBQ in any way shape or form is qualified to act as a member of the BOD.

I too am a dues paying member of KCBS, and a competitor, and I am a member of this forum. If Mr. Compton would like the opportunity to receive my vote when the time comes, then I would like to verify that he is associated with competition BBQ. I don't know the man, but I won't ask for your forgiveness from any one to ask questions about him. You do your friend a great disservice by jumping down the throats of the very people who's votes he hopes to receive: The ones who aren't his friends but are looking for reasons to vote for him.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Scottie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Every board member signs a conflict statement and there is a code of conduct statement that every director signs. Personally, I do not believe that conflicts should be based solely on financial gain. For example, if a KCBS board member is also on the board of MBN, that could potentially be detrimental to both organizations.

Any chance that these disclosures can be made public to the member? I would like to know this information before i am expected to vote to retain a Director. I think we deserve to know of folks are making money off of KCBS and also being a Board member.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote