MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #4591
Diamond State Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Happy Holidays to all

Ol Big Bertha gotfired up again today, picked up some more babybacks to smoke. they will be gifts for neighbors.

I Love The Smell Smoke in the Morning!
some squirrels have no shame

Last edited by Diamond State Smoker; 12-25-2009 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: add pic
Diamond State Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #4592
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Christmas 2009

We ain't skeert a no snow:

The hams were pretty tasty:

Old 12-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #4593
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : WingNut
Default Another UDS

I built another UDS last night. This one was for a friend of the family to give her husband for Christmas.

He was pretty stoked when he got it this morning. He had no idea she was getting me to build it for him.

Here are a couple of pics:

wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #4594
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great job.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #4595
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Great job.

Thanks, Norco. It's based off of your handy "redneck uds" instructions.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #4596
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

That aint no UDS, thats BAMFDS!
I need to make another. Like the K blue bag in the box. This truly is a perfect gift for someone. It looks very Professional. If I could change anything, (and I hate to even say it) , it would be the Wally world Thermo. That thing deserves a big 5 incher.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #4597
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknok;[ATTACH
35161[/ATTACH]
Attachment 35164
It looks like you have made yourself some adjustable height grates with some KV track and shelf brackets. Congrats on the ingenuity and good luck with the future smokes!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #4598
Diamond State Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

great job on the build wingnut, and yes it does look like a pro did it.
i'm sure your friend will be very happy with it.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #4599
Toyotatruckin
Found some matches.

Well Ive been wanting to build smoker and thanks to this site I went with a stand-up (UDS) instead of a lay-down But before I add my cooking grate I would like to know why the 24" distance between top and bottom grate's, if I dropped the grate down another inch or two I think it would clear a turkey I have, its not a big deal as it may be the only turkey I ever cook on it but 22-23" how would it differ in performance?
Specs so far are
intake 2 1/4 pipe, hole center down on the drum is 2 1/2 from bottom
2 more intakes at 2" from bottom (3/4 fittings capped) Just in case
standard 55gal. drum
and a 3" exhaust (lid trimmed inside to fit the 3" not the standard threaded cap hole)
both intake and exhaust have spring loaded adjusters
Might add SDS in El Dorado KS refurbishes steel drums, cash money I walked out with a 55gal drum lid and ring for 7$ already burned out and shot penned had to remove surface rust but thats no big deal
Again thanks for the great site and Info!!
Pics of my build so far

Toyotatruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #4600
Diamond State Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

cool handle

Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #4601
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

What no more posts to read
I thought that this would be the elusive never ending quest as I saw more page numbers added when ever I could sneak away some screen time.
I'm ready to build, have a lead on at least one weber donor and a couple of drum suppliers. Will stay away from the red and tan lined to much work for me. I'd probably get stuck in the barrel trying to reach the bottom, plenty tall but even more round.
I've already convinced a friend to become a fellow drum head, we will build together.
Of course he has the truck, the welder, the safe place to burn, heated shop etc and a broken hand. So I may be some help to him.

Best thing is I will no longer be a gass passer when I smoke (except for beer byproducts)
I'll also be able to make MOINKS that would be certifiable, if certification was still possible.
I know no pictures, never happened so I will do my best to document the events.

Thanks to all the tolerant and patiently repeated advise through out the thread. It will be a KISS UDS with Beer opener(s)
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #4602
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

The 24" is needed to properly smoke without a water pan present. Lower and the meat cooks too quickly. I have seen people do the 2" below bottom of charcoal grate, and then measure 9" down from top and put first grate, but you can do whatever you like.
Quote:
But before I add my cooking grate I would like to know why the 24" distance between top and bottom grate's, if I dropped the grate down another inch or two I think it would clear a turkey I have, its not a big deal as it may be the only turkey I ever cook on it but 22-23" how would it differ in performance?
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #4603
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

If you're building new, give some serious consideration to the set-up I made so my UDS doubles as a grill. I have two levels of U-bolts for grates, one about 2" from the top, the other about 8" from the top. I made my fire basket with three brackets which line up with the U-bolts, so you can mount the fire basket right below the upper grate for grilling. I welded a short stud on the bottom of each bracket, so it can't get accidently knocked off of the U-bolts. I actually do more grilling than smoking, and the UDS works fine set-up this way. It also sets the fire basket at a handy level for loading and starting. I have a handle on it, so I can then just lower it to the bottom of the drum when smoking. If I do a minion start, I don't even need gloves to lower it, as long as I do it right away.

On Christmas, I cooked a 4 bone prime rib on the UDS. I smoked it @ 200* for 4-1/2 hours, foiled it for 1/2 an hour, and while it was foiled, I moved my fire basket to the upper, grilling position, and let it fully ignite. By the time the meat came out of the foil, I had a good hot fire to sear the roast. With the lid on it, my UDS was reading 525* for the searing. Two different types of cooking on one grill! I only really have room for one grill in my yard, so my UDS has to do double duty. (OK, my wife has a gasser, but we won't mention that). I actually gave away my beloved old Weber kettle once I had the UDS figured out.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #4604
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
That aint no UDS, thats BAMFDS!
I need to make another. Like the K blue bag in the box. This truly is a perfect gift for someone. It looks very Professional. If I could change anything, (and I hate to even say it) , it would be the Wally world Thermo. That thing deserves a big 5 incher.
Good feedback. Nice job spotting the Kingsford. I'm including a bag with each one I make for buddies (easy to do when they're only $1.50 with the coupon at walmart for the big bag).

I'm thinking about making a few more of these and selling them. Note taken on the thermo. I'll upgrade it. I'm also going to use brand new drums for the ones I sell (bought 6 new drums yesterday - ouch - spendy). But, I don't want to risk the liability with anything possibly residue in the reconditioned or used drums and someone claiming it made them sick or something (although personally I think they're fine and use them myself).

I'm also going to offer the regular flat top lid with 8 holes, and then the bling edition chrome smoke stack as an option for those who want that.

Long live the UDS!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #4605
Marty
Found some matches.

started by uds build today
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker