MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe
Question Kale in turn in boxes?

Why is it not allowed to use Kale in KCBS turn in boxes?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Because: "Rule 6. There is NO rule 6!" (Monty Python)

I think the rule is there because KCBS has rules and this is just another of them. Nothing against Kale specifically, just a rule.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
fweck
is one Smokin' Farker

Just because...
Stovetop, Camerons Gourmet Mini Smoker.
Future UDS Owner (slow build mod)
Smokin' Fast, Splashproof, Blue Thermapen

Airborne! God Bless our Troops! :amen:
KCBS CBJ
Member of the Zero's Club
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
fweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

kale is not lettuce
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

It would be too easy
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
It would be too easy
I think that's the real reason. Everything looks good on kale.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I think it should be allowed as long as the Kale that goes into the box weighs a minimum of 5 lbs and has not been parted prior to going into the box. This will ensure that cooks don't just take the easy way out and only use the best parts of the Kale. The spirit of the original rule was that garnishing the boxes is to be a long tedious process.

Lets face it taking only the best parts of Kale and using it to make garnishing quicker and easier just ain't BBQ and if they allow that, then it might as well be a grilling contest!!!!!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Blame the French!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/di...anted=all&_r=0
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I think it should be allowed as long as the Kale that goes into the box weighs a minimum of 5 lbs and has not been parted prior to going into the box. This will ensure that cooks don't just take the easy way out and only use the best parts of the Kale. The spirit of the original rule was that garnishing the boxes is to be a long tedious process.

Lets face it taking only the best parts of Kale and using it to make garnishing quicker and easier just ain't BBQ and if they allow that, then it might as well be a grilling contest!!!!!
Rabble-rouser...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

The guy on the TV said the boxes have to be identical in garnishing and overall look so the judges won't know who submitted what and therefore fairness is preserved.

There, a quality post from me in Comp.

[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
mep
Full Fledged Farker

I don't understand way kale can't be used because it does look good. My guess would be that it is because it is part of the cabbage family rather than the lettuce family.

I had to alert my table captain that a box had kale in it at a recent contest. She hadn't noticed. We had to give the box a 1 in appearance.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

The guy on the TV special we watched was an instructor that certifies KCBS judges and the words out of his mouth were that a standard had to be enforced in order to prevent any judge from being able to tell who turned in the box. If one entrant goes to kale, all of KCBS must agree to go to kale -- and therein lies a lot of extra work and co-ordination for something they consider already 'fixed'.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
The guy on the TV said the boxes have to be identical in garnishing and overall look so the judges won't know who submitted what and therefore fairness is preserved.

There, a quality post from me in Comp.

The guy on TV is wrong. There's no-thing, no-where, no-how that says boxes must be identical. There's a lot of variation in contest boxes. Marking is prohibited but there's a lot of variation in building boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
. . . If one entrant goes to kale, all of KCBS must agree to go to kale -- and therein lies a lot of extra work and co-ordination for something they consider already 'fixed'.
So why then do we have boxes of flat parsley, curly parsley or one of over 100 types of lettuce (the only exception is red-tipped lettuce which is illegal)?

All of my remarks are just to show how ignorant some of the so-called "experts" in the media can be. I don't know the thinking on why kale wasn't allowed in the beginning but for some media clown to come up with this is just crazy - he ought to judge a contest or two to see just how "identical" the boxes are. Sheesh!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

^ That's a really good question. I can only go by what the instructor said on the show when he was teaching the class of judges-to-be.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Ya know.......who gives a chit. Whenever your in a competitive situation parameters have to be set.
Over the years I've competively pulled tractors-trucks, softball, wiffleball, fished all over the northern half of the country on the professional walleye circuits. At some point the governing bodies have to put rules in place. "If you can do that...then why not this" is always brought up. QUIT pissin n moaning!! If you don't like the rules.....move on to another hobby!!

sorry...............that's my story n I"m stickin to it.

And one more thing when I get into compentitive fat guy go cart racing I probably won"t like some of those rules either!!

Thanks from: --->