• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A competition using only Weber Kettle

I cook brisket, beef ribs and chicken on a kettle all the time.

Temperature management is fairly simple, expecially with a OTS kettle. I most often use a simple offset cook, banking the charcoal on one side of the kettle, and the meat goes on the other side. I can run a kettle for 3 to 4 hours at around 235 to 250 with this setup.

One key thing, you need to control air flow, and I do this with a large aluminum disposable pan, that I mush around to cover the part of the fire grate I am not using to hold fire on. I want to be able to add water as well, so I use a large oval roaster and just sort of massage into shape. I fill this halfway with water. I can also use one edge to hold charcoal in the pile, this works great.

I cook brisket, beef ribs and chicken on a kettle all the time.

Temperature management is fairly simple, expecially with a OTS kettle. I most often use a simple offset cook, banking the charcoal on one side of the kettle, and the meat goes on the other side. I can run a kettle for 3 to 4 hours at around 235 to 250 with this setup.

One key thing, you need to control air flow, and I do this with a large aluminum disposable pan, that I mush around to cover the part of the fire grate I am not using to hold fire on. I want to be able to add water as well, so I use a large oval roaster and just sort of massage into shape. I fill this halfway with water. I can also use one edge to hold charcoal in the pile, this works great.

Yep. This is almost EXACTLY what I do on my OTS. I still use it for probably 90% of my cooks, even though I have a Performer/Cajun Bandit rig.

I had a WSM for a while and on a whim tried smoking on my Performer. I don't think I ever used the WSM again after that. I ended up selling it on Craigslist.

I most definitely disagree. Kingsford Original is far and away the winningest charcoal out there. That said, I use about a 60/40 blend of blue bag and Competition.

John

You seem to have a decent palate... then you do not get the horrible nasty from blue bag.

It makes the food taste like cheap liquid smoke and it causes me to burp. It took me forever to figure that out. It is not a problem if you let it ash over, but minion method is out.

Well, I find this post very fascinating for two reasons...

1. Kosher food does not seem to fit into the standard BBQ theme.

2. My next door neighbors are Jewish and although they are not strictly Kosher, I BBQ a lot of pork and and that excludes them from some of our Q's and that sux.
I would like to hear some Jewish input on Q and will post a separate thread.
A good kosher brisket that is smoked is awesome. While I do not maintain a kosher home, the thought of competing in a Kosher Q contest is very appealing to me. There is an entire Kosher Q comp circuit. My co Pit master lived in Israel for a few years and has picked up a few tricks that make for some awesome ribs.

I've tried the snake method in my kettles a few times recently and really like it. My own best luck has been to make the snake three briquettes wide and two layers deep with smoking wood laying along the top (dry). I started the snake with 7 fully ashed-over coals and both bottom and upper vents wide open to start. About 40 or 50 degrees below my target temp I close bottom to half and continue to "brake" the temp climb with top vents until it parks. For me that hits at 250 to 275 on a 22.5" Weber. I thought it was easier to hit 225 by only making my snake two briquettes across and two deep and igniting with 5 lit coals rather than trying to choking off a larger fire by turning the vents lower. I agree with those who suggest it's better to adjust your cook to whatever temperature your cooker settles in at rather than fuss with the vents trying to hit your ideal number right on the nose.

Sounds like a great contest, pix when it happens?
Thanks. Will absoultely post pics when it happens - June 9, 2013

Had a bunch of different grills....settled on a hurricane Katrina semi destroyed OLD kettle from my father in laws.......took the mangled legs off....and kept the big dent in the lid......use if for all my grilling and small smokes......you get kind of attached those old cookers.........

Back