MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
What makes you say that? I've cooked butts on an OTS with great success. Spares? No problem at all!

John
Because he won't be cooking pork at a Kosher contest. It will be brisket, chicken, beef ribs and beans.

Here's a great video for the OP:

I can't recommend this event strongly enough. Very competent organizers, friendly cooks and Jerry and Linda Mullane are the reps (and they rock).

Lmk if you're going to make it. We can set up a mini Brethren Row.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I find this post very fascinating for two reasons...

1. Kosher food does not seem to fit into the standard BBQ theme.

2. My next door neighbors are Jewish and although they are not strictly Kosher, I BBQ a lot of pork and and that excludes them from some of our Q's and that sux.
I would like to hear some Jewish input on Q and will post a separate thread.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #18
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I personally would not use kingsford blue for a comp. Ironically, I would suggest you use Kingsford competition for an actual competition over kingsford blue.

KB is great for a quick steak or burger with the whole half price summer sales. But I would not smoke with it, let alone smoke with it in a competition (ok, ive used it to smoke, but its usually mixed up with some royal oak or something else).

But thats just me. Others will probably disagree. Myron Mixon has won a ton of awards with KB and lighter fluid (but that doesn't necessarily make it right).

Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #19
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
@ PatioDaddio - Pork is not Kosher
Ah! I completely missed that part, sorry.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #20
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
I personally would not use kingsford blue for a comp. Ironically, I would suggest you use Kingsford competition for an actual competition over kingsford blue.

KB is great for a quick steak or burger with the whole half price summer sales. But I would not smoke with it, let alone smoke with it in a competition (ok, ive used it to smoke, but its usually mixed up with some royal oak or something else).

But thats just me. Others will probably disagree. Myron Mixon has won a ton of awards with KB and lighter fluid (but that doesn't necessarily make it right).
I most definitely disagree. Kingsford Original is far and away the winningest charcoal out there. That said, I use about a 60/40 blend of blue bag and Competition.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #21
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Because he won't be cooking pork at a Kosher contest. It will be brisket, chicken, beef ribs and beans.

Here's a great video for the OP: The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube

I can't recommend this event strongly enough. Very competent organizers, friendly cooks and Jerry and Linda Mullane are the reps (and they rock).

Lmk if you're going to make it. We can set up a mini Brethren Row.

Eric
The original Snake method ,to my way of thinking ,that became an Australian icon was published here.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/view...hp?f=19&t=4864
I do not belive it was the first in the Big WWW,but believe it was the foundation for the Australian scene.

To the OP.
I often have Backyard BBq with some Muslim friends and they appreciate the effort but do not get obsessive
about all the so called rules,seems about the same to me
cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #22
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

This looks like a fun event. I looked through the rules quickly and I saw where they are allocating charcoal baskets. Does that mean that you cannot use fire bricks? If you can use them, that is definitely my preferred method for smoking on the kettle.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
Smokey Mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Titch is right, That method was developed by the Aussie bbq forum guys from an idea to something that actually works.
The Youtube poster that didn't give any credits, Is not showing it in its up to date status that works reliably. And thats not an Aussie accent Its Kiwi (NZ)
Smokey Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Ah! I completely missed that part, sorry.

John
he got me to
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benniesdad View Post
This looks like a fun event. I looked through the rules quickly and I saw where they are allocating charcoal baskets. Does that mean that you cannot use fire bricks? If you can use them, that is definitely my preferred method for smoking on the kettle.
I use a stainless steel bowl filled with water and make a c around the bowl and then light one end this will go 6 to 8 hours depending on the amount of charcoal
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I've tried the snake method in my kettles a few times recently and really like it. My own best luck has been to make the snake three briquettes wide and two layers deep with smoking wood laying along the top (dry). I started the snake with 7 fully ashed-over coals and both bottom and upper vents wide open to start. About 40 or 50 degrees below my target temp I close bottom to half and continue to "brake" the temp climb with top vents until it parks. For me that hits at 250 to 275 on a 22.5" Weber. I thought it was easier to hit 225 by only making my snake two briquettes across and two deep and igniting with 5 lit coals rather than trying to choking off a larger fire by turning the vents lower. I agree with those who suggest it's better to adjust your cook to whatever temperature your cooker settles in at rather than fuss with the vents trying to hit your ideal number right on the nose.

Sounds like a great contest, pix when it happens?
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #27
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

my kettle will run all day with a snake at 250, i have even got long cooks with my smokey joe and the snake.
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds like a blast to me! There's nothing that I won't smoke on a kettle as good as on a drum or any other cooker for that matter. A little more babysitting, sure, but no big deal. 100% lump fan, no problem with temp control and surely better flavor IMO. Some people can't taste the difference but I sure can. I suspect some judges at comps can too (possibly costing Myron/Harry/others higher scores at times???). Why risk it? Lump NEVER offends with flavor. Just my $.02, YMMV.....

Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool concept on a couple fronts - 1 - Being a kosher event & 2 - being kettles only.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
CUErious
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

As a newbie prior to entering my very first competition, I sold my Big Green Egg and Steel Keg for a Weber Kettle. (Yes it was hard) but I wanted to become mobile and have the ability to fly to any competition. So far, I've competed 3 times with a Kettle and flown there each time.

1 GC and 5 top place calls, two 1st place brisket calls including taking 1st place at 2012 Jack Daniel's Invitational in Brisket. So cooking on a kettle is VERY doable. I do recommend using a Guru. If someone from Weber is reading this, you welcome!

Last edited by CUErious; 01-18-2013 at 11:24 AM..
CUErious is offline   Reply With Quote