sealing your offset

R

Ryan0914

So I have my Char-Broil Offset Smoker and I've been just trying to seal the top lid with the bottom with tin foil each time. I just make rope like peaces and put them in place and push down hard. I was wondering if anyone out there has a better way or a different produce as this gets to be a pain after a while.

I Have the same problem with my SNP. I have been thinking about buying some high temp spray foam sealant and then cutting it to fit. I have aluminium all over the place on it at the moment.

Check out stove gasket kits at your local hardware store. I used Rutland from Ace many moons ago and it sealed up my old New Braunfels real nice. It comes in various widths and I think I used 1/2 inch or 3/4.

I agree the rope type stove gasket makes a great sealer for the gaps and comes in several sizes to fit all the gaps. I used it on my old smoker and it worked great.

I used high temp silicone to seal my Silver Smoker recently and it worked well, but the caulk dried out and cracked after the first cook. Still seems to be functional (and stuck tight to the metal surface) but doesn't look real nice. Function over form, I guess. It made a noticeable positive difference in burn time and temp stability.

The part that I am having the most problems with is the fire box ash pan. Char Griller sent me another ash pan, due to the first one being broken and it has alot of gaps. I did the typical fix with foil, it seems to work, but looks ugly. For the top part, I think the latch will work for me. Easier to put on and looks clean.

Back