MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I don't understand the intake manifold which lets air in above the fire as far as I can tell?
Hey Jim, the 4 pipes feed the undernieth and to the side of the fire. I use a charcoal basket sitting ontop of two bricks so it's raised up a bit. See the pic.

THis pic only shows two intake pipes (I added the top two later). The one on e the very bottom is a 6" nipple that feeds right underneath the basket which sits ntop of those bricks. The other 3 only have a 2" nipple (like the one shown) that feed the bottom/side of the basket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0793.jpg (22.7 KB, 522 views)
NCoonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Very cool, nice job! Good for you having your Son help
I have one question, what is holding the grates and how solid are they?
Hey Ron, thanks for the compliment! Each grate is held in place by 3 ea 1/4" x 3" Stainless Steel bolts with SS lock washers and nuts. They are very strong. I thought about JB welding on the bolts, but I decided to leave them removable just in case.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
Yeah, I'm with Pig Dog... I'm curios about the fire box. The concept is cool and I dig it, I'm just interested in how you stage your combustibles.
Thanks a lot guys, I attached a pic above of the inside of the fire barrel. It only shows the two intake pipes (I've since added two more on top) but you get the idea.

The bottom intake pipe draws air right the the bottom underneath the charcoal barrel (which sits up ontop of those bricks) and the othe three pipes feed air to the side of the basket starting from the bottom going up.

I guess I could have NOT put them vertically and tried to put them side by side around the barrel, but I was going for a monster smoker intake manifold look. It seems to work fine, in fact that barrel gets hotter than... well it gets hot!!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
BADASSS!!!! I think you might have advanced the science here!
How did you join the connecting pipe? Is that where the JB weld is?

I've been lookin for barrels to start a new project, maybe like this. I have 3 racks and a diffuser plate but bending over into the smoke sucks and its blown back on me a time or two.

I'm thinkin a stove pipe damper between barrels would give a lot more control and divert smoke while loading

+1 on lower intakes too but it probly won't matter much.

Great job!
Thanks Mike! Yes that is where the ol JB weld came in. I did do some actual mig welding. We tact welded the barrels to the stand and all the joints on the stand, but the 4" iron pipe was two thick of a metal compared to the drums and we just kept burning holes in the drums. So we went with JB weld for that and all the intake pipe and the chimney and.... well you get the point, I love that stuff!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

This is by far one of the most unique smokers I have seen and I absolutely love it. As far as connecting the two drums, how did you make the holes in the drum and did you use jb weld to connect them? I do not have a welder, but if jb weld is able to connect the drums well then I might give this a try.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealm9 View Post
This is by far one of the most unique smokers I have seen and I absolutely love it. As far as connecting the two drums, how did you make the holes in the drum and did you use jb weld to connect them? I do not have a welder, but if jb weld is able to connect the drums well then I might give this a try.
Thanks a lot! Yes I used JB weld. I got a 1' piece of 4" black iron pipe for free from a pipe fitter off a job site, traced around the pipe onto the drums, and cut out the holes with a jig saw. Then I slid the pipe through connecting the drums. We tried to tack weld it but the pipe was too thick and the drums were too thin, we kept burning holes in the drums.

I ended up JB welding the pipe on the inside and outside of each drum. That stuff works like a charm, I used it all over this build. I used the two part black and red tubes that you mix equal parts together. It takes 24 hours to dry and once it does, it's never coming apart. I've seen guys use it to fix cracks in engine blocks, it's rated upto like 3000 degrees I think.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #22
BigBellyBen77
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks Awesome!
BigBellyBen77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealm9 View Post
Mark, let me know if you're serious about building something similar to this, I would love to give you some pointers (so you can skip some of the trial and error that I went through). I also video taped the whole build from start to finish, as soon as I edit it all together I'll put it on YouTube and post the link.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
wolfkeg
Knows what a fatty is.

with the intakes pointed upwards are you at all concerned with water getting in the firebox if a storm blows in during a cook?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkeg View Post
with the intakes pointed upwards are you at all concerned with water getting in the firebox if a storm blows in during a cook?
Not really, I'm in Los Angeles.... we don't have storms. I'd be more worried about someone rear ending it with their car or beating it up at a Dodger game.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ingenius idea!

Love it. That thing should hold a TON of Q!
Great job!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Nice build. That sucker should hold a lotta grub. Get smokin and post some cookin pics!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #28
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Me gusta mucho. And, I like it a lot. Nice build. I would love to see the video as well.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Nice build. That sucker should hold a lotta grub. Get smokin and post some cookin pics!
Thanks for the compliments! Her are some pics from my first cook (4 tri-tips and 2 whole chickens with plenty of room for more)

Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Farkin' awesome!

I totally want one...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drum, offset build, uds, vertical offset, vertical smoker