MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Venue Insurance Policy

Anyone ever had a venue ask you to take out an additional insurance policy naming them as protected beneficiary for $1,000,000/$2,000,000 even though I already have that amount of liability coverage on my business? I checked and it is going to cost $75 for a "Event" policy. Luckily my contract says any fees or charges incurred by a venue will be passed to the client. So I called the client and now the venue is heehawing about it and says they will pay it First time I've run in to anything like this, is this normal in some places? I should add this is a new venue in the area and the owners recently moved here from somewhere else.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Anyone ever had a venue ask you to take out an additional insurance policy naming them as protected beneficiary for $1,000,000/$2,000,000 even though I already have that amount of liability coverage on my business? I checked and it is going to cost $75 for a "Event" policy. Luckily my contract says any fees or charges incurred by a venue will be passed to the client. So I called the client and now the venue is heehawing about it and says they will pay it First time I've run in to anything like this, is this normal in some places? I should add this is a new venue in the area and the owners recently moved here from somewhere else.
You should be able to name them an additional beneficiary on your policy which should be good enough.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
You should be able to name them an additional beneficiary on your policy which should be good enough.

That is a what the venue is saying but NationWide is telling me it will cost $130 for the one day.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is becoming more common out here, for any venue that has a municipality or other government agency involved to ask for this. Also, larger corporations have been asking for similar things, for events they are sponsoring.

In my real world life as a landscape architect, this type of clause has nearly forced me out of business. Very frustrating.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
sunrise
On the road to being a farker

Happened twice so far this year. 1 was a farmers market we were considering, and the other is a city owned pool & park area. I have a third coming up soon at a golf course, all 3 wanted to be named on the insurance policy. My company charges $ 50.00 for a 1 day endorsement. Sucks, but in today's world, what can you do, and I need the work.
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 AM   #6
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
That is a what the venue is saying but NationWide is telling me it will cost $130 for the one day.
Hmm, if you aren't a restaurant but just a caterer, someone posted a link the other day in another insurance thread for www.fliprogram.com/ which allows you to easily add additional insured for free right online and print the certificate immediately. Haven't done any research on them, but from the site info it seems like a pretty good program. But I know a lot less about this stuff than BBQ so fwiw, lol.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
IamMadMan

They are not asking for a separate insurance policy, they only want to make sure the plaintiff can't sue them for incidents that should be covered by your policy. This clearly defines the scope of your liability for all parties for general liability, damage to premises, products, operations, personal injury.

Just ask your current insurance company for a "rider" to your current policy. Here they cost $25.00 and name the additional insured only for the specified date, time, and location. If you know the sponsors, dates, locations, and times when you renew your policy you can have them written into the policy with no additional charges.

This is standard policy for large functions and functions on government properties, schools, ect to thwart liabilities on them that may be caused by your presence at the location. Most policies only cover you at the specified address (IE: restaurant), or on your vending truck / trailer.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It is becoming more common out here, for any venue that has a municipality or other government agency involved to ask for this. Also, larger corporations have been asking for similar things, for events they are sponsoring.

In my real world life as a landscape architect, this type of clause has nearly forced me out of business. Very frustrating.

Now I understand where your "handle" comes from (landarc).
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
Now I understand where your "handle" comes from (landarc).
Don't let the name fool you. Much like wooing attractive women, he's really not very good at it.

'

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
They are not asking for a separate insurance policy, they only want to make sure the plaintiff can't sue them for incidents that should be covered by your policy. This clearly defines the scope of your liability for all parties for general liability, damage to premises, products, operations, personal injury.

Just ask your current insurance company for a "rider" to your current policy. Here they cost $25.00 and name the additional insured only for the specified date, time, and location. If you know the sponsors, dates, locations, and times when you renew your policy you can have them written into the policy with no additional charges.

This is standard policy for large functions and functions on government properties, schools, ect to thwart liabilities on them that may be caused by your presence at the location. Most policies only cover you at the specified address (IE: restaurant), or on your vending truck / trailer.

This is what I did, the charges were a total of $135 because I have two policies general and abc. So I talked with the venue and we decided to split the fee and it covers the entire year.

It's like I told the venue though, someone could fall in a hole on their property of something fall out of a rafter in their barn and the guest sue me so maybe I should have the venue add me to their policy the same as they want me to do

This is all something that a bunch of insurance people dreamed up at some weekend insurance get away sipping cocktails and figuring out how to sell more insurance. Between me, the venue, the florist, wedding planner and the bride we have probably $12,000,000.00 coverage on the wedding this coming Saturday It's all BS
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
landarc

There are legal conferences. I found this out, and am lucky to still be alive. The attorneys get together at these conferences and discuss how they can write contracts to limit liability for their clients. Then they sell this information to municipalities and large companies, who then screw us. Worse, the insurance attorneys and city/corporate attorneys work together on these. No joke, actual truth.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
tonyb
Knows what a fatty is.

We run into this a few times a year. We have a rider on our policy that allows us to add additional insured parties at at time. Without the rider there was a per-change fee, the rider was cheaper than two changes.
tonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
kghart
Got Wood.

The place I used last year for vending had me add them to my policy before I could vend. It cost me a little extra too but I can't remember what it was.