MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #46
Ozric
On the road to being a farker

Good advice! One note/consideration. I live at 7,000, where water boils at just under 199°F. Here's a great on-line boiling point calculator from ThermoWorks that even takes your current atmospheric pressure into consideration.
Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100
SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #47
ggee6688

I had to tighten down the latch all the way to prevent any leakage. Mot leaking anymore.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #48
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

My door adjustment has the latch a notch or so tighter then it was as received. I still have some room for further adjustment. I will be taking Chris's advance and oiling down the gasket too. That should probably do the tricking on that issue!

Ozick, that's an interesting note about altitude and boiling point. Thanks for sharing!
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #49
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
Mike,

Thats the right adaptor, I would give the 10 cfm a try and see if that is enough air
Thanks clweed, sounds like a plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
And that's half the fun. Keep smoking!
I am ready for lots of fun too!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #50
jrben1

Smile New Owners

We now have a group of 8 of us who either have or have ordered a Lone Star Grillz Insulated Vertical Smoker.
Anybody else who finds this thread and has ordered one of these smokers should leave me a private message if they are interested in joining the group and sharing ideas.
Mine had the folding table installed 2 days ago and went to the paint room yesterday. Should ship next week. Can't wait.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #51
pyroman175@yahoo
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
We now have a group of 8 of us who either have or have ordered a Lone Star Grillz Insulated Vertical Smoker.
Anybody else who finds this thread and has ordered one of these smokers should leave me a private message if they are interested in joining the group and sharing ideas.
Mine had the folding table installed 2 days ago and went to the paint room yesterday. Should ship next week. Can't wait.
What was your build time on your smoker JRben1 ??
pyroman175@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #52
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
Shipping next week! Woo hoo! You will be filling the skies with sweet smoke in no time!

Let me know how you get the beast out of the crate. I rolled mine out of the crate by placing some plywood on one side so the it dropped down about a half inch onto the plywood and rolled down the rest of the way to the pavement. I left the side rails up on either side of the wheels to create a track so the wheels did not creep off the 2x4's that the wheels were resting on.. You will see what I mean when your smoker arrives. Posting pictures I hope?

Last edited by mikes1212; 04-04-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #53
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman175@yahoo View Post
Mine took 10 weeks, from order being placed, to delivery in my driveway.

On another note. I have been exchanging emails with Chris, and he is being very supportive and open with advice! Top notch customer service... You just can't beat that, or over-look it!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #54
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Snippit from a email from Chris Goodlander - Remember the most important thing is patience, don't rush things, and give yourself plenty of time for prep. and have fun! Don't choke down the smoke stack until you hit your set point and don't add water if your trying to get to higher temps. If you want water with higher temps (I don’t bother when cooking over 275 because its hard to get hot and its more steam than I like) try to add it slowly and only a little at a time, in other words add a half gallon or so every hour. Back to the patience, don't make more than one adjustment or change without seeing a positive or negative result. What I mean is don’t adjust the stack then five minutes later do something else because its not working fast enough, doing too many thing at once will not let you determine a cause and effect relationship and you will be going in circles.

Chris, I thought this was worth sharing with the others, I hope that was OK?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #55
ggee6688

Glad you got the cook in. I'll be cookin next weekend. I'm going without the water. I may try the water in a elevated pan. Well see. Depends on how lazy I am at 4am.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #56
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman175@yahoo View Post
I ordered mine on Friday, January 31, 2014.
Long wait.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #57
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
Shipping next week! Woo hoo! You will be filling the skies with sweet smoke in no time!

Let me know how you get the beast out of the crate. I rolled mine out of the crate by placing some plywood on one side so the it dropped down about a half inch onto the plywood and rolled down the rest of the way to the pavement. I left the side rails up on either side of the wheels to create a track so the wheels did not creep off the 2x4's that the wheels were resting on.. You will see what I mean when your smoker arrives. Posting pictures I hope?
I'll post some pics for sure.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #58
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
Glad you got the cook in. I'll be cookin next weekend. I'm going without the water. I may try the water in a elevated pan. Well see. Depends on how lazy I am at 4am.
I am lazy as well at 4am so one thing I do if I plan a long cook or very early morning start time is get the cooker started the night or evening before. The addition cost of fuel is inconsequential, your never rushed for time, and all thats left to do is get up throw on the meat and go back to bed (especially if you prep your meat the evening before as well). For shorter cooks this may not be a option but for those 15-16 hour brisket cooks or 8-12 pork butts its perfect.

Thanks
Chris Goodlander
Lone Star Grillz
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #59
ggee6688

Ill have to give that a go next weekend. I'll have to do some brisket again. I really like having the grates in vertical formation. I think its gonna work out great for comps.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #60
jrben1

[QUOTE=mikes1212;2871589]Mine took 10 weeks, from order being placed, to delivery in my driveway.

Mine should ship today or tomorrow. It will be exactly 10 weeks 3 days from now. Looks like you hit it about right, Mike.