Large charcoal grill reviews?

N

nralover

Anyone know a web page that reviews grills? I am in the market for a larger grill...

I'm a Weber kettle fan, so naturally, I'd recommend a 26.75" OTG, and if that's not big enough, the Ranch kettle. Don't know of any review sites, though.

Amazingribs.com has some good grill and smoker reviews, though I don't remeber if he does any large ones.

Orangeblood is right, I saw a Weber ranch kettle in person a few weeks ago and they are sweet. One day I will have one, I just don't have $1100 to spend on one. I also saw a Weber 26 last week, they are nice but the Kettle is the way to go.

I'm a big is better guy. But 2 regular 22" webers seems better than 1 26" to me. Need to cook a lit then use both. Need to cook less then use 1. And 3 can cook what a ranch does.

Large charcoal?

Weber Ranch, baby.......Weber Ranch.

The Weber Ranch was the work horse of my (16 year) corporate catering business. A case (60#) of butts fit easily on one - we had three of the old school Ranches, i.e., three legs, no lid holder, wooden handles, etc..

High heat butts? You betcha! We settled on Konriko Creole seasoning with washed raw cane sugar... 5 to 6 hours was the usual cooking cycle with transport/resting time in food porters.

They were also the cookers of choice for whole beef tenderloins (PISMO), top rounds, and brined whole boneless fresh turkey breast.

I also used a Pitts and Spitts 30x60 trailer mount with an upright smoker - all shiny stainless (door and shelf) and blue metal flake trailer... purtyful, efficient, but couldn't be rushed.

Anyway... Weber Ranch fo' sure. :thumb:

+ 1 more for the Weber Ranch. I picked mine up off CL for less than half of new. I just got to break it in this last weekend and I am impressed to say the least. Easy to control temps and able to cook for a large crowd with no problem.

I love my 26" Weber, but I'd love to have me one of those Ranch Kettles.

+ 1 more for the Weber Ranch. I picked mine up off CL for less than half of new. I just got to break it in this last weekend and I am impressed to say the least. Easy to control temps and able to cook for a large crowd with no problem.
So you're the one who grabbed it before I could pull the trigger! :boxing:

How big is big? One day I'm going to have my a Ranch Kettle....and a 26, to go with my 22.5

Another fan of the 26.75" kettle! Very versatile...can grill, can smoke, indirect, direct.

As far as proper reviews, the only one's I've seen are on Consumer Reports.

For grilling, I use one of these (got it for $20 on craigslist)

Last edited:
I love my Ranch Kettle.A lot of times it is not even big enough and I break out the 250 gallon offset and have to use it and the Rancher.It is a PITA to try to keep multiple cookers going.I would rather have one big enough for whatever cook I needed to do.Just wonderin what you mean by Large?

I really can't swing the purchase of a 1000.00 ranch kettle- does anyone have a recommendation of an affordale large grill that has decent temp control?

A cinder block grill can be built pretty darn big for cheap... It would do in a pinch until you find something on Craigslist... Those Ranch kettles don't come around too often on Craigs list ... Trust me I have been huinting for one of those for several years now

Back