MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Advice on smoking venicine sausage

My buddy just dropped off some deer sausage. Gonna throw it in the smoker. its thick sausage. not the thin sausage.

im smoking a brisket hot n fast right now around 275-300.

how long shoudl i put the sausage in for?

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

you'll end up with "cooked" sausage if you smoke it that hot. Is the sausage "fresh sausage" now? does it have a curing agent in it like pink salt or morton's TQ? Normally you want to start sausage out at around 120 then slowly increase over a 4-6 hour period but not let the smoker get over 170. Otherwise the fat will just drip out of it.

That being said, if you just want to cook it like a bratwurst, then throw it on with the brisket till it's done.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

hmmm.... ok. then i guess today i wont be able to smoke it. i was hoping to just cook it so we can eat it within a few hours. not like make pepperoni out of it. but maybe let it get a bit of a smokey flavor while it cooks. maybe one day ill try that slow slow sausage method too. today was just planning on throwing it on, but not grilling it.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

again, depends on what type of venison sausage you are talking about. I've seen venison sausage that is already cooked...like "summer sausage". If this is the case, I don't see a point in subjecting it to smoke/heat. "fresh" or uncooked sausage is another matter. If that is what you have then cook/smoke it as you would some brats or other fresh sausage.

I guess i'm not clear on the original product and what you hope to achieve with it.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote