MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
huli huli
Found some matches.

Default need help on how 2 bid a job

HELP ?
not sure how to bid a job? a big company here wants me to BBQ some pork butts @ grill some chicken for three shifts.(days,swing,grave) not in that order 300/350 peeps for days,150 peeps for swing,100 peeps graveyard...
they have a kitchen and will do the sides and supply all the meat...I have a few smokers can do about 60 butts @one time chicken mite be rough(have to get another grill)not sure if they can split the days so i can clean the grill and reload (dont want any fires) they just want me to smoke and grill meat there tables and equiment...they have $$$$
thanks..
huli huli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Walk away from this one.

Or......charge by the hour. When they supply everything, that's when you start running into problems.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
big brother smoke

Charge in for each shift, if you are feeling risky. I would charge them $700 per
If they don't go for it then go with ^^^^

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

I personally do not like to cook meat that I did not supply. I have done it and had problems in the past. Twice I have showed up to find chicken that was frozen hardern a bowling ball. Once I cooked someone's pig that had been fed garbage, and tasted like garbage---it was bad so therefore it was my fault. It seems like you are describing a reputable outfit that has it's own kitchen etc----so all things may be good. I also do not like to trust others with the side dishes---but this place seems reputable.

I would probably run from this event---but if you are going to do it I would make a very complete bill with everthing that you use. That way they see exactly where there money is going---if you just throw out a dollar amount--they will think "Man he is making too much money" I would include in bill:
BBQ Chef @ X amount per hour
BBQ pit rental
Transportation of BBQ pit
Fuel for BBQ pit
Spices for meat
Servers @ X amount per hour
Chafing Tray rental
Sterno

Cooking for 3 shifts will involve extra hours, extra fuel etc
Do not forget the hours for prep time and clean up time----many people charge only for time on site
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

The only time we have ever catered for a group that supplied their own meat was when we picked up the meat from their NSF kitchen the day before the event so we could marinate, rub, trim, etc. So, we knew the meat was handled properly and definitely ready to Q at the right time. Otherwise... no go!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
The only time we have ever catered for a group that supplied their own meat was when we picked up the meat from their NSF kitchen the day before the event so we could marinate, rub, trim, etc. So, we knew the meat was handled properly and definitely ready to Q at the right time. Otherwise... no go!
Exactly - Too much exposure otherwise, unless you have nothing to lose.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Exactly---I assumed that when he said that they had a kitchen ----it was an inspected and approved kitchen.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
gandcwatson
Found some matches.

I'm new at this but take each shift and charge per person per shift, and a letter of release for the meat supplied for this event cause you don't even know if it's road kill or not.
gandcwatson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

i dont know about you, but i wont leave my house for less than $50 an hour. On top of that, im with the rest of the guys, gas for hauling around the smokers, smoker rental, fuel for smokers, fuel for you(beer)

Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
huli huli
Found some matches.

WOW ... thanks for all your in put ,the place I make referance to is a food warehouse so all meats are all highend stuff, there kitchen is all up to code after all they are feeding all shift .(made there to put in vending machine) they just want something special .your right need to finger in marinate time trim and bag up ...thats a whole day:~(
huli huli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I would also walk from this one, or tell them the only way is to do it all. Your reputation and liability is worth walking away. If they say no, part in good terms. If they say yes, then you hold your own destinay and reputation in your own hands.

You can cut down a million trees and never be called a lumberjack, but make one bad catering job because of the Customer not supplying something, and you are a chitty cateror the rest of your life ... to all 3 shifts of people depending on you.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
swamprb

You'll be workin' overtime on this gig Cliff!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by huli huli View Post
WOW ... thanks for all your in put ,the place I make referance to is a food warehouse so all meats are all highend stuff, there kitchen is all up to code after all they are feeding all shift .(made there to put in vending machine) they just want something special .your right need to finger in marinate time trim and bag up ...thats a whole day:~(
Marinate and trim???

You better charge double.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

Basically they're hiring you to cook for them - not cater...
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote