MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie
Default REC-TEC BFG shipping early!

Hey All,

So I just got the word that my new BFG had shipped, and I looked up the tracking number and it's already scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately I'll be in Virginia at a competition, but I should get the grill on Monday afternoon. They were talking shipping late April / early May so this is a pleasant surprise.

I'll do a solid review of the smoker after I've put it through its paces. That video of them cooking all those pork butts blew me away...I never figured it could fit that much food.

https://www.facebook.com/RECTECGrill...9550200747931/

After cook

https://www.facebook.com/RECTECGrill...9037018999153/

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

That is amazing. Congratulations !!! Anxiously waiting for the review with plenty of pictures.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice Congrats
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Subscribed!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

That's great, looking forward to the first cook!

And if you do decide to do the absurd volume of butts they showed let me know how long it takes for your grease bucket to overflow...

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

30 butts in that thing? That's kinda crazy. Looking forward to action shots.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

So I got my Rec Tec BFG yesterday and after a semi-irritating assembly process I did the initial burn in and seasoning.

So since I seasoned it last night I decided to just give it a long run doing a pork butt. This is my first cook on a pellet cooker so I didn't want to risk putting on a bunch of food and screwing something up.

I've been running this all day so far (probably 5 hours or so) and it's holding temps almost perfectly. I did have a temp "spike" when it rose from 250 to 253, but it quickly corrected itself. Smoke smell / aroma is pretty lacking, but I guess that's to be expected with a pellet cooker. Mind you I've been cooking on stickburners for the last 7 years or so. I did run it for the first 2 hours at 200° and that seemed to produce a bit more smoke.

I'll keep on posting in this thread over the next couple of weeks. I'm planning on doing 5 butts, 6 racks of ribs, and some beef short ribs overnight tonight for lunch service tomorrow. So I'll try and remember to get some pics of that and also my overall impressions.

Something of note is that the pellet consumption is quite low compared to what I would have otherwise expected for such a large cooker. Sure there's not much food on it, but after ~5 hours the hopper looks pretty much the same it did when I started. I'm running B&B pellets (Pecan and Apple), but I do have 200Lbs of Grilla Grills pellets on the way.

Last edited by SmoothBoarBBQ; 03-26-2019 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Re-sized pics
SmoothBoarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Looks Great Looking forward to your review Congrats and Enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Smoke smell / aroma is pretty lacking, but I guess that's to be expected with a pellet cooker.
Not trying to be a jackwagon here but this has not been my experience with my pellet cookers. I have found that my big one (JB) does smoke a bit less than my small one (DC).

Congrats on the new cooker! Maybe the very light load is why you're not getting much smoke? That one butt looks pretty lost in there.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Not trying to be a jackwagon here but this has not been my experience with my pellet cookers. I have found that my big one (JB) does smoke a bit less than my small one (DC).

Congrats on the new cooker! Maybe the very light load is why you're not getting much smoke? That one butt looks pretty lost in there.
I've had food from a few different brands of pellet cookers and so far none of them have much smoke at all...Traeger, Rec Tec, Grilla Grills, and Yoder. Mind you I've been a stickburner for the last 7+ years, so maybe it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Right now I'm using B&B Pecan and Apple pellets, and I've got some Grilla Grills pellets on the way. If you think there's better pellets out there I'm all ears. I'm willing to spend the money where it counts and fuel source certainly matters.

New cooker is performing very well though...going to be a learning curve for me just like with any new cooker. I was just reading the manual the Rec Tec has a "LO" temp setting called "Xtreme Smoke" which I guess is similar to the "Super Smoke" feature on the Traeger Timberline series. I'll give that setting a shot next time and see how well it works out.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
PatAttack

That is a NICE looking smoker.

Congrats!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Very nice. Approximately how many brisket do you think it'll smoke at once?

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
gtsum
Babbling Farker

That thing is huge!

Try lumberjack 100% hickory. Strongest pellet I’ve tried (I haven’t used mesquite though). If a couple hours at super smoke and then at 250 or whenever to cruise to the end isn’t enough smoke, then pellet cookers might not be for your tastes.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

That thing is a beast! Can’t wait to hear whatcha think of the finished product once that lil butt is done and consumed:)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

So that small pork butt came out very good...nice and tender with a beautiful smoke ring and a very minimal smoke aroma. Bark was good (just salt and pepper) and the smoker performed very well.

@BigThicket, I'm certain I could do 12 briskets at a time if not more. They loaded the thing up with ~30 pork butts in the video I posted in the OP, so I'm sure 12 is a very cautious estimate.

Post cook thoughts : so far so good. Again, I'm really surprised at the performance of this large cooker and the minimal pellet consumption.

@gtsum I can't seem to find Lumberjack locally...all I have access to is B&B from Academy and Pitboss from Walmart. I've got some GrillaGrills pellets coming and I believe they are rebranded Smokering (could be wrong though). I'll run though those and see if they give out a bit more flavor. If not then I'll get a bulk buy of Lumberjack from bbqpelletsonline.com