Cold Smoker wood question

Bone Yard BBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
A friend of mind has built himself a cold smoker. He's now realized a huge mistake!! He's used treated pine for the wood build. I have no clue when it comes to cold smoking or building a smoker out of wood. Any advice to how he can still use it? Should he line the inside with something? Any advice as how to fix instead of having to tear it all down and start again would be appreciated :)

In reality, at low temps, it is probably safe, since your food is not coming into contact with the wood, but personally I wouldn't want to use it. I would stay away from treated lumber and plywood all together, when food is involved. I would worry about moisture leaching out the chemicals, and dripping on my food. He could probably line it with untreated lumber, or metal, but I'm not sure I would feel safe with that even.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Season it a few times and the heat will help and the oils/creosote will provide a good coating to seal the interior. I'd run it hot three or four times and call it good.

Back