Mods Brinkmann Gourmet

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First post, hope its being posted to the right place.

Nothing original here, but wanted to post my modified Brinkmann Gourmet. Standard lid damper with a 22.5” WSM damper. Instead of gasket rope around the lid, I put self-stick nomex ½” gasket around the lid, and also another round strip of nomex around the inner ring of the grill. When I push the lid into the body, it creates a fairly snug seal. As well I put some nomex around the inside edges of the fire access door.

Now for the base pan, installed two sets of WSM 22.5” dampers, one on each side. I plugged the bottom hole with an electrical knock out plug. Instead of a water pan I foiled an 8 inch clay saucer I got at a big box store for $1. For the inner charcoal pan, I made a pattern of two sets of horizontal holes going around the entire inside of the bowl. My goal was to make a bootleg WSM charcoal ring.

I also, as in many modifications I raised the grate by 1 inch with 4 stainless steel screws. Just to make sure the ash build up drops through for sure, I also drilled some patterned holes in the bottom of the pan. I been undergoing some home renovations, might not be able to fire this thing up for a couple of weeks. A little concerned the temp might run too hot, or the charcoal might burn through to fast, but it’s all TBD, until I fire it up for the maiden voyage. On the fence about replacing thermometer, might just drop a probe through the top damper when its time to check the temp.

Attachments

• BG BASE (600x800).jpg
    BG BASE (600x800).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 202
  • BG BOWL (600x800).jpg
    BG BOWL (600x800).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 202
  • BG DOOR (600x800).jpg
    BG DOOR (600x800).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 201
  • BG LID (600x800).jpg
    BG LID (600x800).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 201
  • BG WATER (600x800).jpg
    BG WATER (600x800).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Inner Lids.jpg
    Inner Lids.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 199
It looks like you made all the right mods. I would be concerned the bottom intakes on the star wheels may be too high.. I have never really looked one over to be more familiar with it. On the up side temp control is all about the intake. Home renovation or not the best way to run it is a test burn with a good thermometer no food needed so if it becomes a runaway fire nothing is ruined.

Just my .02
Mike

Looks great.Ive done similar modifications to my ecb and I love it .

looks like you are off to a good start. As you said only a test run will let you know for sure, but I think you are on the right track.

Looks Good. I would put a Thermo thru side near grate level. River Country on Amazon are inexpensive and Pretty Good.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=River%20Country%20thermometer"]Amazon.com: River Country thermometer@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619Nwpz5W-L.@@AMEPARAM@@619Nwpz5W-L[/ame]

Lookin' good! :thumb:

I did pretty much the exact mods on mine years ago, although I just dampered the factory hole in the bottom of the bottom section instead of adding the dampers to the sides. Still, it should work the same.

Plus, my door seemed to fit pretty well so I didn't gasket it.

For reference, here's a thread I put up about my mods.

You'll be happy I'm sure.
Properly modified, the ECB Gourmet will cook as well as the (much more expensive) WSM.

Nice mods!
I installed a single long handled sliding vent control under the bottom of the pan.

That nomex is a lot cleaner than the fiberglass rope. Do you see any smoke leak out from it? I might go that route if my fiberglass falls off.

Re: Mods

@mykeystoy, you are right I think setting the damper a little lower would be better for airflow. Also the 22.5" damper is rather large, it grinds outter lip of the charcoal pan when I try to turn it all the way around. If I don't run empty I might try a pork shoulder, hopefully it doesn't burn up.

@Smitty I was looking at the river country, will probably spring for it. I didn't want to drill any more holes if I can avoid it. but I probably will.

@Wampus. I had an old ECB Frankensmoker (ECB with a foiled Brinkmann all in 1 foiled charcoal pan used as the basepan) I had two sides and a slide damper. For this one I wanted to try it first without the bottom damper, with a more WSM type set up to see how it would hold. Might wind up doing it as an add on.The gasket, I had some left over, so I figured I'd give it a go on the door. Awesome thread too, in considering my mods your page was a major reference point.

@Midnightgoat I'm giving the nomex gasket a try for the lid. In my old ECB I found the rope to be messy and it never fit right for me.
I got to see when it smokes if it will actually work, but it appears snug.

Not to highjack my own thread but this is the modified ECB described above. In some misguided attempts I drilled three sets of
damper holes in the lid (2 later covered with aluminum), I also high temp siliconed the door shut, and had installed two sets of
thermometers in the body (later covered one with aluminum)

Then I attempted to use an all in one Brinkmann base pan with ECB legs as a bootleg base pan. Just a quick note, the all in one pan is similar to the inner Brinkmann Gourmet Pan, in that it has the vented air slits in the bottom.

I tried to solve this problem with wrapping the pan in aluminum foil. I also cut the bottom off the ECB pan and replaced it four screws holding a grate. I later tried to insulate my "base pan"by wrapping it in aluminum vent tape. Epic fail, as it did nearly burst into flames, and ruined a large rack of beef ribs.

Between all the silicone, and the foil tape incident, I decided to junk the ECB, and get an WSM 22.5". I've had the WSM since June and I never looked back. Once seasoned, its been the bomb, and not in a burst into flames way.

Which brings me to the current point, round 2 of trying to conquer the vertical Brinkmann. I think this gourmet is going to turn out some great Q as my secondary/travel smoker. Thanks for all the tips and feedback all.

Attachments

• Body (600x800).jpg
    Body (600x800).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Charcoal Pan (600x800).jpg
    Charcoal Pan (600x800).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Pan (600x800).jpg
    Pan (600x800).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Smoker (600x800).jpg
    Smoker (600x800).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 96
Worked great it is self-stick the 1/2" x 1/4" from Island Outdoors. I did an 8 hour pulled pork and it held up well. Seems to the seal got better as time went on. Even though not required I probably should have did a test burn to cure the gasket. Seemed to have given off a brief odor, but not enough to damage the food. IMO worthy investment, a little steeper than gasket rope at $25, but it looks neat fits well..

Back