MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Default Turkey cook

Gong to use the Oakridge Brine ( Game Changer). I have some Game Bird and Secrat Weapon left. Maybe 1/2.... Was going to add that to the package of Santa Maria and rub the bird.

Question is...... Should I Brine the 15 pound or so bird the day before and then rid the bird that morning. Or should I brine the bird two days before and rub the day before.

Cook will be on the Meadow Creek with Cherry and Hickory, with Royal Oak lump.............

Temp I am shooting for will be about 300..
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

i would brine 2 days before and let it sit in fridge overnight so the skin dries out I would put the rub on prior to cooking Put ice on the breast- in zip lock bags- one each side so the breast meat temp drops That way the breast meat is done when the dark meat is done Cook at 325-350
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks this will give me someplace to start
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Agreed. Brine two days before if time allows. If it's a natural bird, brine at full strength for one hour per pound. If it's a store brand bird (Honeysuckle White, Butterball, etc), brine at half-strength for one hour per pound. Rinse the bird well after the brine and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Then, let rest in refrigerator for 24 hours before applying rub and smoking/frying/roasting.

This might also help --> Oakridge BBQ: How to Brine a Turkey

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->