MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Suggestions on a grill

Seems my Coleman is dead after only 4 years. So here is my plan on a replacement.. a Weber Genesis S-330, which I think I can get for $820 shipped.

But for some reason my heart is yearning for a charcoal grill and do away w/gas. Does anyone know of a good substitute for a gas grill like the S-330?

-Some things I like is a 300-500" grilling surface
-Simple to clean and regulate for temps
-Something that will be able to snuff out the coals when I'm done to minimize waste.
-I'm thinking a budget of $500
-I'm already using an UDS for low and slow.. so I want something more for grilling.

I know Yoder has a nice looking grill the Abilene for $500. I just have not been able to find any reviews on it. Any info you grilling farkers can provide will be appreciated.

BTW even if the answer is that "everyone should have at least one gas grill for burgers and dogs" that is fine also. I just wanted to know if there is a charcoal grill that is almost as convenient as a Weber gas grill. TY again
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Weber 22 inch. Anything it won't handle, The WSM will.
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

How about the Weber Performer?

Charcoal with gas start.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/...ries/performer
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I have not used my gasser for over a year +. And I'm thinking of selling it. But I feel your pain, I know it's there if I need it.

Your grilling area puts a damper on things. I absolutely love my Weber Performer. It grills, it smokes, it's just a little smaller that you requested. If you really need that much just add another kettle to the mix. All for under $500

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Don't forget about the Weber 26.75", if more space is what you need.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
-I'm already using an UDS for low and slow.. so I want something more for grilling.
Mod the UDS by making a smaller charcoal basket and add another rack to set it on below the cooking grate. Cheap mod and save the kackle for food and beer.

Cheers
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I just purchased a Weber Genesis E-310; Wallyworld site-to-store free, with tax was $697.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

My UDS actually has a lower rack that was intended for a pan if needed. I have used it once as grill grate to cook up some skirt steak. I couldn't get it too hot but it was my fault.. I never cleaned out the ashes under the firebox from the last two cooks. I will try that again next time I smoke something and then need to cook some burgers and such.

I think I want something a lil easier to manage for grilling. But ty for the idea, especially when someone is try'n to save me money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Mod the UDS by making a smaller charcoal basket and add another rack to set it on below the cooking grate. Cheap mod and save the kackle for food and beer.

Cheers

Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Build a UDS
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I do like the Weber Performer.. Especially the part about the gas starter and the table is always nice. I even saw one (could be a mod) with a normal propane tank in place of the coal bucket.

The 26.75" is defiantly a possibility. It could be that I'm just attracted to that bad ass look of a big "Texas style grill" lol.

If anyone has any opinion on Yoder Grill or other similar grill please let me know.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I do like the Weber Performer.. Especially the part about the gas starter and the table is always nice. I even saw one (could be a mod) with a normal propane tank in place of the coal bucket.

The 26.75" is defiantly a possibility. It could be that I'm just attracted to that bad ass look of a big "Texas style grill" lol.

If anyone has any opinion on Yoder Grill or other similar grill please let me know.
Yoder, pfftt. Why pay all that money for a purpose built piece of equipment when you can get a barrel, some bolts and a grate and do the same thing?
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
martyleach

I recently bought a Weber Performer (Blue) and absolutely love it. I hate to admit it but my large Egg is getting a little jealous. The Performer has enough work table to prep stuff. The grill is larger enough to cook direct and indirect. It's just a lot of fun for me.

Weber's warranty and customer service is world class!!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
MikeyLuvsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Personally, I'd go with the with the 26.75" Weber One-Touch Gold just for the larger grilling surface. If you want more bells and whistles, go with the Weber Performer.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
captndan

Check out Meco. Their in house brand is Aussie. Very well built and the price is good.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Char-griller was a great grill for me. 600 square inches or so and less than 150 bucks. I've had it for 9 years and it still keeps on ticking.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal grill, gas grill, Grill, Weber