Dry Spots On Shoulder Cook...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just did my first pork shoulder and it turned out great, thanks to you all. 90% of it was juicy and tender, but that last 10% was dry and tough. Wish I could remember exactly where it was on the shoulder, but it was my first pulled pork and I was pulling frantically.
Anyhow, is there any way to keep the dryness from happening at all or is this the norm? I put the shoulder directly on the grill and never turned it.

Fat cap down (in my humble opinion), foil at 160* and spray with apple juice/water/bourbon mix every hour after foil. Injecting is probably a great idea, I don't have a kit for that though.

Was it dry on the outside, or inside?

With a Traeger, the heat source is below the meat, so I would put the butt (or brisket for that matter) fat cap down. The fat will shield the meat from the heat source.

Was it dry on the outside, or inside?

With a Traeger, the heat source is below the meat, so I would put the butt (or brisket for that matter) fat cap down. The fat will shield the meat from the heat source.
I believe it was dry on the outside and likely the bottom, like you said. I thought about putting the butt on a piece of foil, so I could keep the fat cap on top to let the fat bath the meat.

the foil won't do anything, just keep your fat cap down and it should help. there is enough fat on a butt/shoulder it won't matter.

Back