MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #3526
spaz815
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I was going to use a large thick aluminum cooking pot for the lid. I don't remember where I saw your not suppose to use alum while your smoking food. I just don't want to make anyone sick. I was confused because I always see it being used to cook on a stove or whatever. I thought maybe it was because of it being an open flame or something. The pot is just an over sized pot they would probably use at a restaurant or something. It would work because its 19in wide and my drum is 18 1/2. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.
spaz815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #3527
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Aluminum is fine if it's not to close to the fire. It melts at a lower temp than steel. You'll need some kinda exhaust though. It's galvanized you don't want to use around food. I once used aluminum for divider plates in the firebox on my offset smoker and when I looked in there a few hours later I said to myself where are the dividers? In a pool of aluminum on the bottom of the firebox was where they were.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #3528
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

A 160-quart stock pot lid ought to span 22 to 23 inches. You may also find stainless lids in that size. Expect to pay upwards of $50.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #3529
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Woot! Got some donor parts from a fellow brother today in the mail, gonna get my UDS finished this weekend, PRON to follow!!! Totally excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #3530
Skidder
Babbling Farker

You go Le we're waiting on the pics and your 1st smoke. If you need anything else please ask we're all here to help each other. Lord knows your doing your part. So thanks for your service to our country.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #3531
spaz815

At first I was trying to find an old Weber lid. I was talking to a friend that said he had a commercial grade Alum pot so I figured I would try that. I just checked to see if it would fit. Its about 19 1/2. Has a little over hang but seems to fit snug. So the only thing I have to worry about is it melting all over my food. LOL That would suck! Does anyone know what is the melting temp is? Just to have an idea and so I can keep and eye on it. Its thicker than a regular pot you would use to boil noodles. I kinda let it cook took long the chicken was good but the wings were kind of crispy. I like them like that though. I smoked a Roast for my girlfriend but it was sort of tough. Like I said I left it cook to long. What kind of Beef roast is good to use on the UDS? I can't get the pics to upload so I'll try later.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #3532
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

if your smoke temp is 220 260 at the grate /meat the dome will be the same no?if so your temp .. will be ok alum takes much more to melt just my thinking

Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #3533
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I think someone posted that aluminum starts to melt at 900 so your safe by far.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #3534
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz815 View Post
At first I was trying to find an old Weber lid. I was talking to a friend that said he had a commercial grade Alum pot so I figured I would try that. I just checked to see if it would fit. Its about 19 1/2. Has a little over hang but seems to fit snug. So the only thing I have to worry about is it melting all over my food. LOL That would suck! Does anyone know what is the melting temp is? Just to have an idea and so I can keep and eye on it. Its thicker than a regular pot you would use to boil noodles. I kinda let it cook took long the chicken was good but the wings were kind of crispy. I like them like that though. I smoked a Roast for my girlfriend but it was sort of tough. Like I said I left it cook to long. What kind of Beef roast is good to use on the UDS? I can't get the pics to upload so I'll try later.
Google is your friend...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...nt_of_aluminum
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #3535
Skidder
Babbling Farker

JD's the man. 1200 it is then so your safe by a long shot.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3536
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

Water boils at 212f so I'm sure the pots good for way over that.
FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #3537
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

HEADRUSH

Kind of a pita to get the 22inch cooking grate past the one inch lip ot the lid isnt it?
FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #3538
jkanter
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Yankee here...need some help! I got a reconditioned drum from a reputable place but it seems that they painted the inside. I did not pick this up and my brother-in-law got the wrong one. So...that being said, can I just sand off the paint in there instead of having to brun the whole thing? I know the only thing done to it was a paint job on the inside. There aren't any liners or anything.

If I do need to burn it out...what exactly do I need to do? Just build a huge fire inside w/ wood?

Lemme know...thanks!
jkanter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #3539
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

You know, it just goes to show you, I get all these cool parts, and then the 22 inch cooking grate that I went to fetch at wally world for 12 bucks is GONE!!!

Looks like i'll be hitting up ACE True Value first thing in the morning and picking up a replacement one for more than what I wanted, but dang it I want to finish the cooker!!!!

What I was originally going to cook didn't get thawed out in time so it looks like the first cook is going to be something small and simple like ABTs or something.

Looking to get pretty proficient in cooking with this bad boy with what's left of the summer because it looks like i'm up for another trip to the sand land in october, and i'm going to ship this thing over with me!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #3540
spaz815

Thanks guys. I'll have to take a pic and try to get it on here. With the pot on, my UDS looks kinda funny. Looks like the back of a head with a hat on. LOL Its because of the over hang the pot has. I think I just thought of a nice paint job. Well maybe not nice but funny.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker