THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

cowboynate45

OK so I am building my own brick smoker in my back yard. Is it nessecary to line the inside of it with fire brick since I have my cinder blocks filled with cement. I can't find anywhere around here that sells fire brick without having to drive an hour+ to get some. Any info or tips will be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks

I've wondered the same thing. I wonder if the cinder blocks, when heated, give off an odor or gasses that are not conducive to great barbecue... I know many use them for hog pits, but I'm not sure if the cinder blocks get that kind of hot, in that scenario.

Surely someone here will know.

I guess it wont hurt to put in fire brick but we cooked on one for years at a restaurant that did not have them. It had a large walk in metal door that did not seal very well. I am not sure if the concrete blocks were filled with cement or not.

Most are probably going to tell you to get the fire bricks and I guess if I were going to all the trouble of building one I would to.
Dave

Fire bricks except the insulating type are a heat sync. The concrete block does the same thing. Save the bucks and buy a pig.

Back