• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any thoughts on the Yoder Kingman

BuckN BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm new to the smoking world. Been following this site for about 6 months now. I have a MES30 which I call the "outdoor crock pot" and don't feel that it's very fun to cook on. I'm really interested in an offset stick burner and my awesome wife offered to buy me a Yoder Kingman for Christmas. Just looking for opinions on if this is the best offset for $3k.

Thank You,
Jeremy

I know next to nothing about stickburners but $3k should pretty much get you anything you would be looking for in my opinion from the options I see people talk about here regularly.

Can I marry her?? :becky:

A Yoder Kingman is one of smokers I plan to buy in the future. They are great and Yoder's customer service and support is just as great as their cookers. There are several members here that own Kingmans and some others that have cooked on them. Hopefully they will chime in. Everyone that uses them seem to love them.

I don't think you can go wrong with it at all. I say do it! And if you don't like it, I'm not too far south. :wink:

Husker, Thanks for the quick response and kind words. From following your journey I'd say your wife is probably as understanding as mine. :grin:

Husker, Thanks for the quick response and kind words. From following your journey I'd say your wife is probably as understanding as mine. :grin:

Yes she is, or I wouldn't have the cookers I have. I just know that Santa isn't going to be bringing me a Kingman this year, that's all. I'm not complaining about what I have (wife or cookers) at all.

My YS1500 is more or less a Kingman, just pellet fired vs. wood fired. Make sure you get the HMS installed, it makes cooking in the pit a dream. It's dead even side to side and front to back, and you can get the firebox side hot if you want. It's a must on Yoder pits, IMO.

I haven't seen a Kingman, but I can speak for the quality of the Yoders. I purchased a Wichita this fall and I'm in love with it. It's built very well.

Looks like a really nice smoker, but you could get a whole lot of Lang for $3000 (a 48" Deluxe) or for a little bit more get a Hybrid Patio.

I own a Lang, and I would be proud to cook on a Yoder Kingman...I would'nt talk my wife out of her great gift idea...How can you reciprocate? That's going to be a big day for the two of you...

To answer your original question...Thoughts? Top of the line cooker, where's the "Order" button....

Enjoy...

The Kingman is a great smoker. I would certainly spend the additional money to get it on the Competition Cart. I didn't enjoy moving the regular Kingman around at the Royal this year. If you're going to set in place and not move it too much, then the regular o0ne is fine. Rob from Swamp Boys seems to do alright with it.

My YS1500 is more or less a Kingman, just pellet fired vs. wood fired. Make sure you get the HMS installed, it makes cooking in the pit a dream. It's dead even side to side and front to back, and you can get the firebox side hot if you want. It's a must on Yoder pits, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Is the HMS different than the Heat Management Plate that is included with the Kingman??

Last edited:
HMS is the Heat Management System which is a little different than the plate. Honestly I forgot the Kingman came with the plate. :oops: The plate may be all that you need, though. The HMS has a sliding door to open up to the fire at any time, but the plate will do a good job of evening out the pit. I just forgot it was included.

If i was going to get a new stick burner it would be the kingman on the competition cart with the durango verticle chamber tacked onto it.

I have had the pleasure of cooking on these bad boys and man do they ever rock! It is one of my favorite stick burners, beaten only by it's Daddy the Frontiersman and my own MOAB. It is a fantastic horizonal cooker and is a pleasure to feed the beast. Quite fuel efficient, it needs only a hot coal base and then one stick and hour for a 250ish temp. Your temps will vary on weather and type of wood, but being a large beast, it is not as affected as small cooker. Get that baby hot and she will rock all day long. Buy it!! :thumb:

Back