MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ruined my first brisket

Well, I started the morning out fighting with the UDS to get it up to temp, got some great advice and fixed that problem. I was so afraid that if I checked it periodically for tenderness that I would lose the heat and have to fight to get it back that I just let it cook at 250-260 for 8 hours without checking it. Needless to say, I over cooked the crap out of it, it shrunk to about half of its size and was uneatable. I forgot to put the diffuser pan on top of the basket since the bottom rack is 12inches from the basket and now I realize that I should have been checking it every couple hours. Thank god my wife had some chicken ready just in case so instead of brisket my family got chicken, VERY DISAPOINTING (for me at least). I think I know what I need to change now but it's still disappointed knowing that I failed and ruined a $30 brisket... Any advice for the next smoke? Thanks, Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
dank
Found some matches.

My first, and only thus far, brisket turn out pretty similar. I just told them I was going for beef jerky!
dank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Oink Oink
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't have a UDS but I imagine a digital remote thermometer would help with monitoring the IT without opening up the cooker.
Oink Oink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Check out Bigabyte's brisket tutorial.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Oink Oink
Knows what a fatty is.

I under cooked my first brisket, it was still eatable, but it was not what I had hoped for. The biggest problem with trial and error is beef is flipping expensive but you'll get it next time!
Oink Oink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
bmock
Knows what a fatty is.

I did the same thing with my first couple of briskets. Today I had my first successful cook in my drum. I took bludawg's advice and cooked it hot and fast. Temps were around285-300 for the cook. I went four hours and the color was nice so I wrapped in butcher paper and threw it back on. Checked about and hour later when temps were in the 190's. probed it, still tough, gave it 30 minutes checked again, boom, probed like butter. Pulled it let it rest 20 minutes, then wrapped in foil and coolered for a couple hours. It was awesome.

I owe my success to bludawg. I always see him posting this method so I went with it and the results were awesome.
bmock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Your definately not alone!

I've made a couple so far and haven't nailed it yet.

I think almost everyone ruins a few briskets before they figure it out.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I had one I did like that. It was dried out. I steamed it back to life in a pan with apple juice, in the oven, on a low temp, covered with foil. I left in in the oven for about 45 minutes. It came back to life and it was good.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

IDK what to tell you I've cooked several hundred briskets on my UDS directly over the coals at 300 -325 they always come out quite nice. I cook Fat cap down. After 4 hrs I wrap in a single layer of butcher paper for the duration and go fat cap up. I have never had one take longer than 6 hrs total time. Normally 1 - 1.5 hrs after rapping they go probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
poppa smoke
Knows what a fatty is.

It sounds to me like you have a thermometer problem.Did you calibrate it first or just assume it was right.at the time and temp in your post the brisket was not done.and could not have probed tender.Invest in a maverick or tel tru and use them as a guide. Brisket is not done until it probes tender!!!
poppa smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
Well, I started the morning out fighting with the UDS to get it up to temp, got some great advice and fixed that problem. I was so afraid that if I checked it periodically for tenderness that I would lose the heat and have to fight to get it back that I just let it cook at 250-260 for 8 hours without checking it. Needless to say, I over cooked the crap out of it, it shrunk to about half of its size and was uneatable. I forgot to put the diffuser pan on top of the basket since the bottom rack is 12inches from the basket and now I realize that I should have been checking it every couple hours. Thank god my wife had some chicken ready just in case so instead of brisket my family got chicken, VERY DISAPOINTING (for me at least). I think I know what I need to change now but it's still disappointed knowing that I failed and ruined a $30 brisket... Any advice for the next smoke? Thanks, Anthony
How many #s was the brisket?
What do you mean by uneatable? Mushy? Tough?

I have made the mistake of pulling a cut of meat too early and thinking it was overdone since it was tough, only to be enlightened on this site that i had pulled it way too early.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Dreggs
Full Fledged Farker

Golfers have to play their bad shots.
Dreggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Everyone on this forum has messed up a brisket AT LEAST once. Don't get discouraged. The good thing is that you know what you did wrong and how to fix it. Brisket takes practice. The best advice I can give is:
Practice.
Take notes of every cook.
Practice.
Practice.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreggs View Post
Golfers have to play their bad shots.
Take a Mulligan!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawSwine View Post
Everyone on this forum has messed up a brisket AT LEAST once. Don't get discouraged. The good thing is that you know what you did wrong and how to fix it. Brisket takes practice. The best advice I can give is:
Practice.
Take notes of every cook.
Practice.
Practice.
Yep I've only screwed up my first one. All the others I have blamed someone else for it not turning out well!

Get a maverick and start probing at 195,
best of luck