Meat Injection

itschris

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
... I laugh like a juvenile everytime I read that...

Anyway, when you guys are injecting, how much liquid are we talking about?

highjack_mod

At my office I'm the only one who can say things like smoking butts, rolling a fattie, rubbing meat, slathering my meat with mustard before I rub it.

Figure on 1/2-1 oz. per lb. at a bare mininum to make a noticeable difference. 2+ oz per lb. will probanly be better for larger cuts Some will inject until the meat will literally not hold any more liquid and begin leaking out.

The injection mix needs to be considered as well before determining total volume. Too strong a recipe for an injection will require less volume or the opposite if the injection if very mild.

Okay that helps. Is there a method to the madness? Do you follow some sort of pattern or do you just kinda go willy nilly?

Depends on the meat...

You need a base (a liquid)... could be water, could be juice. Depending on the meat, you may want sugar.. You probably want some salt.. Then go to the spices (maybe some garlic powder, cayenne, paprika, dry mustard etc... all your choice here to compliment the meat).. Then you can get daring and add small amounts of things like soy, terriyaki, worcestershire, hot sauce etc... Again... all your choice...

Lots of good recipes for injecting meats... test out the search function at the top using some different combinations of search terms or check the Roadmap thread (sticky thread) at the top of the Q-Talk forum

I use almost a quart for a bone-in 7-8# pork butt...blows the sucker up like a basketball...and it does leak...but that just acts as an external marinade.

For pork I use fruit juice and just a bit of salt and sugar to make it more brine-like. For beef I use a quality beef broth and apple juice, again with a touch of salt and sugar.

highjack_mod

At my office I'm the only one who can say things like smoking butts, rolling a fattie, rubbing meat, slathering my meat with mustard before I rub it.

Good grief. You said everything except bung hole. Heh heh heh.

Back