Thermometers

I use a cheapo fry thermo on the side of my UDS. Reaction time is not an issue for pit temps, IMO. Although I still use a remote pit thermo so I can monitor the temps from my bed on overnight cooks. And I'll use another remote thermo for internal meat temp so I don't have to lift the lid.

My Thermapen has proven invaluable. Maybe not so much for low and slow BBQ but for grilling. Before I just wouldn't use a thermo for grilling before because of the PITA slow response time. Now that I've got a Thermapen, I use it all of the time. My cooking has never been better. No more dry chicken breasts, leathery pork chops or medium-well steaks. More importantly, I'm not interrupting my dinner and trudging back to the grill after somebody finds some pink in their chicken breast. My wife agrees that it is one of the best purchases I've made and SHE recommends it to my friends and family.

So I agree with the above that each thermo serves a purpose.

Gotta call BS on that one, I've never seen a dial thermo that will read in 2-3 seconds...Especially one for $2.99 :heh:

It sounds like you and Matt are proud thermapen owners. Granted, I 'didn't time how long it took on a stopwatch, but I will.

Maybe it was 4 seconds. My point is I can't realistically justify spending $100 or so on a thermapen based on faster reads. Especially given that one accidental drop on concrete could destroy a $100 investment.

To balance this discussion, I would like to hear from people who had thermapen problems.

It sounds like you and Matt are proud thermapen owners. Granted, I 'didn't time how long it took on a stopwatch, but I will.

Maybe it was 4 seconds. My point is I can't realistically justify spending $100 or so on a thermapen based on faster reads. Especially given that one accidental drop on concrete could destroy a $100 investment.

To balance this discussion, I would like to hear from people who had thermapen problems.

This isn't a "Thermapen vs The World" thread, not sure why you are trying to turn it into that. It looks to be a thread dedicated to inexpensive thermo options, no sense getting off track. Do I own a Thermapen, yeah, I own 2. Am I happy I spent the coin on them, absolutely. Are they for everyone, nope.

Oh, and I still call BS on your "4 second" thermo :wink:

This isn't a "Thermapen vs The World" thread, not sure why you are trying to turn it into that. It looks to be a thread dedicated to inexpensive thermo options, no sense getting off track. Do I own a Thermapen, yeah, I own 2. Am I happy I spent the coin on them, absolutely. Are they for everyone, nope.

Oh, and I still call BS on your "4 second" thermo :wink:

Under what terms would you be willing to place a wager?

I didn't need a Thermal pen but the wife probably wouldn't have gotten me anything so I said that is what I want. I really like it when cooking a load of meat. Chickens I always twisted the legs and went by feel probing the meat before the pen.

I always but the Tayllor for arond 20 buck had them for several years. If you cooking something for 12 hr who care about 90 sec , BTW I can afford a high price one , but a fool and his money will soon part.

Wow, I see now why everyone jumped on those re-furbed Thermopens like flies on BBQ.
:biggrin1:

Mark,

I love those little dial thermometers. I use them regularly, and if you drop, soak, burn, step on, or lose one, there are several standing back ready to jump in. With that said, I also love my Thermapen. When catering, it sure is nice to be able to be really sure really fast. Plus the health department always seems to relax when they see it.

If that were the case, you wouldn't be spending the $6 in the first place. Save the $$$ and cook w/o the therm.

Winner! The best meat doneness (is that a word?) tool...

#2.69
http://www.jensco.com/h43108.html

jensco_2171_207287388

But the one with the full tang and the fancy handle costs more than the cheap thermometer, which, after all, does have a very similar probe.

Seriously, I am not good enough to go without any kind of thermo yet

I'll 2nd ya jest, my TAYLOR does me fine and quick enough to boot. That and it has outlasted everything bought before and more durable, good $20 spent.

Back