MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #16
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Its all your fault...

tonights dinner just got pulled out of the fridge.. couple porterhouse, and couple shells.. was trying to age them a few days, but now I ain't waiting. Gonna try like trout says..

get some smoke on them by using the cool spot in the cooker while the coalbed gets going with all oak.

Then moving them into the hot firebox right over the coals.

will take more pics if i can remember and dont ruin the porterhouses. May as well throw some snausages in for tomorrow. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8160848.JPG (158.3 KB, 186 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #17
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Nice big Filets on them porters!! You can have the KC Strip side. I usually slice the finished strip thin for stir fry. KC Strip is my least favorite cut.

1. Filet Mignon

2. Rib Eye or Prime Rib

3. Top Sirloin

4. K C Strip

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Forgot my other steak cooking "secret".

The Mrs likes med, the grandson and I like med rare so, I put our steaks in the freezer for 30 mins before cooking so they cook to everyone's liking in about the same time.
I've set hers out on the counter before to warm a bit, while leaving mine in the fridge and this works but for some reason not quite as well.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

How big is that streak Curt? Nice grill lines.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #21
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Something I've done a few times with pretty good success was to smoke'em first in my SKD. Put'em in the verticle for about 15-45 minutes with a few good chunks of wood in the firebox to give it a good smokin then bring'em over to the firebox area for the real grillin.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #22
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Anyone with this months Maxim magazine and there is 3 different methods by top chefs on steak.

I'll try and look it up, but since it was a steak article, the pages might be stuck together ;)

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #23
bbqjoe
Banned

SHAWINGGGGGGGG!
Beautiful. Hope Mama gets home with our "Cattle" soon.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Anyone with this months Maxim magazine and there is 3 different methods by top chefs on steak.

I'll try and look it up, but since it was a steak article, the pages might be stuck together ;)
indeed.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #25
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
I agree with 1 1/2" minimum, when I can catch the butcher cutting, I have him cut them at 2".

I don't have a very functional charcoal grill set up so I have to go with the gasser. The "new" gasser doesn't heat up like the old cheapy with lava rocks so I do the best I can by preheating with a sheet of HD foil over the cooking grates. I cook over the hottest spots for about 90 sec per side twice to get the nice "crosshatch grillmarks" then kill all the heat except what's heating the cherry and/or hickory chunks.
Steaks go indirect with the smoke until they feel like med-rare when given the finger.
Rest for 5-7 mins while I prep my baked potato and dress my salad.

Then I eat tooo dammed much, then I sit on my ass tooo much and grin like Buddah
kc, I have done the exact same thing with my gasser too. As to thickness of cut, I generally buy a cryovacked primal of either NY strip or ribeye and cut it into steaks myslelf. I cut 2 inch steaks, wrap them individuallly, and freeze after vacu-sucking. Always a good meal just a defrost and a hot grill away.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #26
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

When cooking steaks on the kettle how much charcoal to yall use? i generally use one chimney lit and lay out a thick bed of unlit then build it up and then place the lit coals on the unlit till it is all glowing red then spread back out. I still dont think it is hot enough. Also do yall make a spot in the kettle that is a bit cooler than the other side?

I bout a couple sirloins from united but after seein those big ass steaks im gonna have to hit the meat market tomorrow for some thick cut ribeyes.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #27
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Well, not even close..

I think what started this thread prior to the split.. the Salt Island Porterhouse has ruined me.

Here was tonights try to duplicate that wood taste.

Loaded the firebox with a chimney of lump and 2 large oak logs. Once the logs caught added some chunks of hickory and mesquite from the bag and let things burn withthe firebox lid and door open. Once all was burning good, I close the doors and put the steaks in a cool spot in the chamber and dampered down a little to make some heavier than normal smoke. Let the steaks sit in the chamber for about 30 minutes, with white smoke coming from the chimney. Chamber temps were around 225-250... After 30 mins, i opened up the dampers and chamber climbed to 400+. I knocked the logs apart and had a decent coal bed that i couldnt put my hands over for more than a second, and that was from ABOVE the top of the door... Steaks went on then, about 2 inchs over the coals... I gave them about 2 minutes on each side(didnt want a hard char) and then i moved the grate to the top rung, about 14 inchs above the coals and closed the top door. Gave them about another 2-3 mins to med rare, 125-130 on the instant read and let them rest.

well.. 4 great steaks.. no where near the smokey flavor I was looking for, but great steaks.. family agreed.. steaks were good, tasted like they always do, but not what i was trying to achieve. Have to figure a way to get more smoke without doing real BBQ...

will try again next week.. think my arteries are gonna get a workout till I get it right.

Sorry, forgot to take pics before i inhaled the filet... and those red things with the green stuff on top??

those are toe-may-toes.. it is like a vegg-et-table.... it is not a GREEN vegg-et-table,( i know its a fruit).. Some people eat those things. These just got pulled off the vine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8160850.JPG (154.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg P8160852.JPG (150.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg P8160853.JPG (146.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg P8160854.JPG (151.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg P8160857.JPG (149.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg P8160858.JPG (144.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg P8160859.JPG (152.0 KB, 167 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #28
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Phil

If I may be so bold...

Can you look at the link I posted to your 600 Degrees thread (really 700 in the hot spot per your report) and read what you just posted on tonights cook.

Although you didnt get smoke penetration, is there anything from thread #1 to this thread you would change to get better results?

I skipped using foil on the grate to wait to bring the grill up to temp in place of an inverted baking sheet. Don't know the temp, but the grates are glowing.

But I practice 1nce a year at best,

I know you do more, and might do more now as you are on a "bender"

Thanks for posting the pics

Edit: This thread will quickly become a Roadmap thread once everyone chimes in. I'm interested in Phils response, plus Midnight or Neils 2 cents (same Northern cooking conditions as me mod)

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #29
Westexbbq

Good thick steaks and mesquite are a real fine combo.
Basic charcoal grill, K's pointed West.
Try to stay away from too much salt with rub, but have little special mix that works, but the high heat sear is key.
Then grill like ya know, one or two turns, lid up and down depending on the cut; sometimes a pat of melting butter is a nice finish; family tradition.
Dig the cat Sam Elliot and his deep voice Beef ads you hear these days.
"Beef, it's whats for dinner."
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #30
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=steak

Phil, have you tried greedy's method from this old thread? As I remember the pic from the initial post was a real thing of beauty.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote