Truly believe the world is a better place when food....

bbqwizard

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I truly believe the world is a better place to be when cultures can come together in harmony.... well on a plate a least. I mean, we may not get along politically, but nobody ever said we couldn't at the dinner table.

This inspiration started by taking a Korean staple (Galbi, normally beef ribs), giving it an American spin (pork spare rbs, cooked low and slow with cherry and hickory), then joining it with Italian (risotto).

I offer to you, Galbi Spare ribs with smoked mushroom risotto.

Attachments

• 20190907_203218.jpg
    20190907_203218.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 276
  • 20190907_131621.jpg
    20190907_131621.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 275
Oooooh.... how'd the flavors work out with those, eh? The visuals look wonderful.

Oooooh.... how'd the flavors work out with those, eh? The visuals look wonderful.

Pretty awesome. Usually when I make mushroom risotto I serve it with beef and add Demi glacé for added flavor. However, for this, when paired with the sweet and savory of the galbi sauce, the smoked mushroom add the perfect umami touch.

Awesome, Phil. No surprise there!

It's fun watching folks piece different flavors and cultures together on a single plate... not fusion, but the flavors that have always complimented each other.

What am I thinking... you're the chef! I'm interested in how your clientele take to things like this.

Keep crushing it, brother.

Awesome, Phil. No surprise there!

It's fun watching folks piece different flavors and cultures together on a single plate... not fusion, but the flavors that have always complimented each other.

What am I thinking... you're the chef! I'm interested in how your clientele take to things like this.

Keep crushing it, brother.
Thank you!

For some it takes a little enticing before they will venture their palette into the unknown. For others it's a foodie experience. With that, most have come to trust my palette. I have yet to steer anyone wrong with my food and combinations).

Damn that looks good. Can you go into more detail on the Kalbi ribs ? Traditional Kalbi marinade ? Marinade only, or did you turn it into a glaze ? Or marinated, then sauced with something else ?

Damn that looks good. Can you go into more detail on the Kalbi ribs ? Traditional Kalbi marinade ? Marinade only, or did you turn it into a glaze ? Or marinated, then sauced with something else ?

Thanks!

Yes, traditional Kalbi marinade. After cleaning up the ribs, I marinated them over night in some of the marinade and reserved a little for later. I fired up the smoker to 275 degrees and cooked for about 3 hours before wrapping in foil. After wrapping they went back in the cooker until tender. Once tenderness was achieved, I glazed the top of the ribs with the reserved marinade. I did this process twice, in 10-15 minute intervals. After resting for 10 minutes, I gave them one more dose of glaze before slicing and garnishing.

Agree 100%. All politics aside, I used to love watching Anthony Bourdain. He had such respect for those who opened their homes and welcomed him in, to share the best food that they had to offer. The food itself almost became a "side dish" to cultures and traditions. I really showed me that everyone appreciates good food and that with few exceptions, I'll bet "good" here, is the same as "good" everywhere and vice-versa.

Back