MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Pro Teams at Amatuer contests

If you are a professional team, please have the decency to stay away from the amateur contests so the little guys can have the chance to get their confidence up and have hope for themselves when they decide to enter the pro level circuit!!! It just isn't right to beat up on the little guy's, no matter how bad you want a trophy!!!

Tim
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Are their rules and regulations as to pros competing at amateur events?

If so, who enforces them, and in your case why wasn't it enforced?
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Curious, what percentage of "Pro" teams do you think actually make money at this (after you take in all the costs involved)? And of those that make a profit, how many make enough of a profit to actually do this truly professionally, where this IS their profession, so it pays for the power bill, plus food on the table, and those darned truck and house payments...?

VERY few. My point is that there are very few if any "Pro" teams. It's not like the NFL...

There are teams that compete largely in sanctioned cookoffs because the money tends to be better and they enjoy the level of competition, and those that dont. It's a hobby. Some are just very good at it.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Curious, what percentage of "Pro" teams do you think actually make money at this (after you take in all the costs involved)? And of those that make a profit, how many make enough of a profit to actually do this truly professionally, where this IS their profession, so it pays for the power bill, plus food on the table, and those darned truck and house payments...?

VERY few. My point is that there are very few if any "Pro" teams. It's not like the NFL...

There are teams that compete largely in sanctioned cookoffs because the money tends to be better and they enjoy the level of competition, and those that dont. It's a hobby. Some are just very good at it.

I know that not many teams make money at competing, I understand what you are saying. But it's not about the money, it's about the principle of it. When a contest application says "amateur contest" and you roll in there under your catering companies name, and not your competition team name, it makes one look like they're doing something they know full well they shouldn't be doing.

It just seems pretty unfair to the teams that are just starting out and trying to get established when some one that's been competing on the pro side of things for the last 8 or so years comes along to steal the thunder. Some one else could have used the Traeger pellet cooker a lot more than the team that already has the professional level equipment.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Are their rules and regulations as to pros competing at amateur events?

If so, who enforces them, and in your case why wasn't it enforced?

This wasn't my contest. It happened to a friend of mine.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Scottie

Sorry, if the rules arent defined then i would do it.

We now have 'pro' contests that dont pay anything, except a state champioship, so more 'little guys' can get a taste of what a comp is all about. So i ask is that fair that State Championships are cheapened so the little local team can compete? It cant be both ways... speaking as a pro team.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I know that not many teams make money at competing, I understand what you are saying. But it's not about the money, it's about the principle of it. When a contest application says "amateur contest" and you roll in there under your catering companies name, and not your competition team name, it makes one look like they're doing something they know full well they shouldn't be doing.

It just seems pretty unfair to the teams that are just starting out and trying to get established when some one that's been competing on the pro side of things for the last 8 or so years comes along to steal the thunder. Some one else could have used the Traeger pellet cooker a lot more than the team that already has the professional level equipment.
I never cared for calling it the "pro" side of things. I do understand as a novice going against some very accomplished competitors it can be tough. But truly, there's only sanctioned and un-sanctioned. Contests are contests... I will tell you; dont be fooled by the expensive banners and smokers (or tractor trailers as in MBN); on any given day you can win with your equipment however humble it may be.

I, for one, enjoy the competition level. To me I really haven't done anything until I've beaten someone worth a darn (like last outing I beat 2 previous Memphis In May GC's).

I feel for him (your friend), but it's just the game...

Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

That would definitely be up to the organizers to restrict the field to truly 'amatuers'.

And as far as I know, there are no really defined 'classes' of competitors. There are teams with tons of experience, and teams who are there for their first competition. They are all 'classified' as simply being there, as far as sanctioned events go.

Anything beyond that would be up to the organizers.

Have you (or your friend) spoken with the contest organizers? Most organizers I know are open to discussion so they can make their next event better.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
That would definitely be up to the organizers to restrict the field to truly 'amatuers'.

And as far as I know, there are no really defined 'classes' of competitors. There are teams with tons of experience, and teams who are there for their first competition. They are all 'classified' as simply being there, as far as sanctioned events go.

Anything beyond that would be up to the organizers.

Have you (or your friend) spoken with the contest organizers? Most organizers I know are open to discussion so they can make their next event better.

Yes, he does plan on talking to the organizer about it.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Shotgun
Full Fledged Farker

I have done non-sanctioned events as fillers, warm-ups, or just to try new things. The ones I have done have always had a mix of "Pros and Amateurs" that mingled together and shared information about how sanctioned contests are run. Amateurs need to take advantage of having someone around with knowledge, most cooks are more than willing to help out the fellow cook.
Good One Marshall
WSM
Weber Kettle
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I understand what you guys are saying, I just wouldn't do it. The contest had no sanctioning entity behind it and wasn't affiliated with any BBQ association. Just seems like the pro athlete coming to high school practice to boost his ego to me.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
I have done non-sanctioned events as fillers, warm-ups, or just to try new things. The ones I have done have always had a mix of "Pros and Amateurs" that mingled together and shared information about how sanctioned contests are run. Amateurs need to take advantage of having someone around with knowledge, most cooks are more than willing to help out the fellow cook.

That would be great, but he was the only high level competitor there and he didn't compete under his team name, but rather, under his catering company name. No one there knew who they really were until the pictures started floating around and those of us that know who this person is told the other teams who they went up against. Seems shady to me. If there was nothing to worry about, why not just use his competition tem name?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
gooose53
Full Fledged Farker

I've been to contests that spelled out what a pro team is......a team that has competed in a 4 meat contest or other similar contest not considered a amateur contest. I'm not a pro by any means but I would not enter a amateur contest even if the rules didn't specify. Just my opinion.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Lake Dogs

^^^ If it's defined like this above, then I understand. That's up to the organizer. Interesting though. I know PLENTY of fantastic nationally ranked chili cooks/competitors who just **** at barbecue contests. In the definition above I guess they'd be considered Pro....

Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

The event your friend competed in, does it have a website where the rules are written?
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote