Need help on pulled.... chicken?

moda253

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So next week I am doing Pulled pork for work but I need to do some pulled chicken too. I know that I've done it before and just used a whole chicken but wondering if there might be a better way to do it like just doing breasts or something like that.

This is for a good amount of people so I need to make sure that the chickens are done. Does it make sense to buy a bunch of breasts (bone on I imagine) to do this with?

Any hints or ideas?

I would think that doing breasts only would risk the meat becoming dry. I'd do whole chickens, or whole chicken legs so you get some fat mixed in which will keep the meat moist....

In the smoker, use thighs. here follow this. This is from my website on how to do pulled chicken.
http://lt72884.byethost10.com/?page_id=587
Learned it from no excuses bbq
also, if you use a crock pot, put half a bottle of zesty italian dressing, 3 chicken breasts, 2tsp cummin, 2 tsp chili powder. cook on low for 4 hours or untill you can shred the chicken.

I'd recommend leg quarters. Smoke them until they get to 185-190 and then rest them until you can handle them and they'll practically fall off the bone. We do them a couple of times a summer. Like when 10 lb bags of the leg quarters go on sale for .69/lb.

leg quarters go on sale for .69/lb.

Heck, that's regular price around here. I've seen for half that every now and again.

Easiest way is to start with boneless meat (breasts n thighs). Cheapest would be to go with big bag o leg quarters.

Get a bunch of quarters. They are cheap and all dark meat so they taste better and you are less likely to dry them out.

I've only ever done it with whole butterflied chicken.

My secret is when you are pulling it save the skin and try to keep it in as large of pieces as possible. After you have all the skin, slice it into julienne strips and then fry it up over low heat like you would bacon. You'd be amazed at how much fat still comes out of the skin. When the skin is nice and crispy drain it of the chicken fat (but save the fat, it's as good as bacon fat) and mix the skin in with the pulled chicken. It's almost like having chicken cracklings! :thumb:

It's much easier to julienne the skin if it is cold so I usually do the chicken the day before and fry up the skin the day of and mix it in after the pulled chicken has been warmed up. It stays crispier that way to provide some contrasting texture.

We started out using whole chickens and found out it was a lot of work and even more waste. We use boneless skinless breast and thighs. We put them in a 1/2 sheet pan with some butter and rub. The butter and juice from the thighs keep the breasts moist and get just enough smoke to add to the flavor profile. Let everything cool down and pull, very easy no waste. Add a little sauce and your set.

We started out using whole chickens and found out it was a lot of work and even more waste. We use boneless skinless breast and thighs.

What he said, only I cook mine different. I use some of my homemade rib rub (it's not just for ribs anymore), some herb mix from Costco, and some rosemary and thyme, dust up the chicken real well, and then smoke it or cook it indirect between 275-325°F for anywhere from 90 minutes to a couple of hours (basically until 165°F internal temp).

Recipe and pictures are on my blog, and here is a recent post where I made some for a crowd.

Ok so for the folks that use boneless skinless Chicky breast/thighs doesn't it dry out?

Ok I see now. I'm going to be on a UDS so I think I can just get a turkey roaster to do them in if I were to do this method.

We started out using whole chickens and found out it was a lot of work and even more waste. We use boneless skinless breast and thighs. We put them in a 1/2 sheet pan with some butter and rub. The butter and juice from the thighs keep the breasts moist and get just enough smoke to add to the flavor profile. Let everything cool down and pull, very easy no waste. Add a little sauce and your set.

I do mine spatchcocked, with either a southwest style rub, or a montreal chicken rub.

Ok so for the folks that use boneless skinless Chicky breast/thighs doesn't it dry out?

I generally just use thighs for this for just this reason. There is enough fat in the dark meat that it doesn't dry out, and you have to remember to take it off the grill at 165°F (or maybe even a little earlier as it will continue to cook after being removed).

Out here we have a couple of Latin markets that sell fresh boneless, skinless chicken leg meat. .99 pd. That stuff is great for pulled chicken. Stays real moist also. I usually get it when making chicken tacos for people.

Back