MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
pbison
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : PB
Default New RecTec Bullseye

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I currently enjoy using my RT-590, but I've been thinking that it would be nice to have something separate for searing. I saw that RecTec is updating the Bullseye with PID and a stainless steel kettle. It would be pretty convenient to be able to use the same fuel for everything.

Evidently they had a "beta" porcelain enameled version they sold for $250 at an expo. If I could have gotten that deal I probably would have jumped on it. It's looking like the production version will be $400 at introduction and then go to $500.

Anybody here with experience with the old version or thoughts on the new one? I'm intrigued by the idea of a fast and hot pellet grill, though I realize there are more cost effective options if the main thing I'll be using it for is searing.

pbison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

This looks really cool but it’s just missing something and I can’t think of what that is.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is that a pellet powered flat top ?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I see a tropical looking image with a red X.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
pbison
Found some matches.

It's a kettle. Supposedly the old model could hit 700 degrees in like 20 minutes, though I'm not sure how accurate that is, or how the PID controller on this one would affect that.

Here's the inside of the old one:

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
Lees23
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Steve

Does the new version have a way for the grease too drain? The first version didn’t and it would trip out of the screws holding the legs on... it was also very prone to fires if not cleaned out every single cook.
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I picked up a beta bullseye last week. Took a tour of the new rectec facility with chef greg. pretty impressive. It took me about an hour or so to assemble. Fan wouldnt spin so i had to flick it to get it going. there was some pkg material stuck by the blades. My beta version came with a lid that has 4 vents ( 8 total) on each side where others have a total of 12 vents. So yeah betas for sure lol. Havent ran it in riot mode yet to see if i can hit 700+ but did my burn in at 400 deg and hit that temp w/in 5-8 mins. gonna run some wings tonight. first time pellet user fwiw.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
pbison
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
Does the new version have a way for the grease too drain? The first version didn’t and it would trip out of the screws holding the legs on... it was also very prone to fires if not cleaned out every single cook.

Doesn't appear to have a drain.

That makes sense, but I may be OK with that for what it is. Honestly I have to clean my RT-590 drip pan after almost every greasy cook, since it isn't sloped enough to drain much. Or maybe my deck isn't level, I've been meaning to check that.