• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some brisket help,not happy with how it turns out

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I need some help with my brisket which I'm not really happy with how it's turning out. With most things I like to figure it out myself through trial and error because I feel like it's more rewarding when you finally get it right, but with how expensive brisket is, I feel like I may be better off just asking for some help.

So first, I'll try to get as detailed as possible about my process, then I'll explain how they are turning out, and last I'll explain some of the things I've heard or read that just seem to add to my confusion .

My process:
The briskets I'm using are prime grade ranging from 10-14 lb's prior to trimming, rubbed with 50/50 salt and pepper plus a little granulated garlic, injected with beef broth.
I'm using a WSM 22.5, with brisket on the top rack, fat cap down, no water in the pan, but a large foil pan on the lower rack to catch drippings.
Charcoal is Royal Oak briquetes (I will be switching to Royal Oak Lump going forward which I just tried on ribs and found that I like it better, I haven't tried it on brisket yet).
I'm using white oak for smoke flavor, in medium chunks to mini split in size, buried in the charcoal.
I'm cooking at 275, and no wrap because at 275 with briskets in this size range they seem to finish in 8-10 hours or less. If I did wrap, I would use pink butcher paper, not foil.
I don't touch it for the first two hours, then I spritz with beef broth once an hour after the two hour mark.
I probe in the thickest part of the flat usually at the 4 hour mark to ensure it's above 140.
I've been pulling when the thickest part of the flat hits 203-205.
I'm wrapping in two layers of foil, two towels, and into a cooler to rest for anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on what time it is and when I want to eat.

The turn out:
I'm a little frustrated because the flat seems to always be dry, while the point is way too tender... to where it can't even be sliced, it just falls apart. That sucks because slices off the point are my favorite part, and i'm NOT looking for shredded point. Also, the flat does pass the pull test, but not the over the finger bend test. The frustrating part is that I have been trying to judge doneness by when the flat is probe tender, but it never seems to get to the point I hear people describe where it's like a knife going in to warm butter. No matter how long I let it go the flat just doesn't ever seem get to that tenderness. If I had to describe the probe tenderness I get in that flat it's more like what I expect to feel probing the interior of a medium rare tri-tip or a thick steak. I say the interior because with a tri-tip or steak puncturing the surface has some resistance which this does not have, but the inside of the meat feels the same.... if that makes sense.

Adding to my confusion:
At face value, the answer would seem simple... that the whole brisket is over cooked since the flat is dried out but passes the pull test and the point falls apart when trying to slice, and I should be pulling it much earlier. But I have heard and read more than once that generally if your flat is dry it is more than likely under cooked, not over cooked. So then it seems my point is just finishing way before the flat is, and short of cooking them separate which I do NOT want to do, I don't know how the heck to get them both cooked to the proper doneness.

I have also heard various numbers for target internal temps to use as a guide, and a couple different ways to probe.
  1. The most common is probe the thickest part of the flat and pull the brisket when it hits 205. When my flat hits 205, it's dry... and the point falls apart when sliced.
  2. The second most common is probe the thickest part of the flat and go by feel, pulling it when it feels like a knife through warm butter which could be all the way up to 210 or higher. For me, the flat never seems to get to that tenderness, and even taking it to 205, the point gets over done and falls apart when slicing.
  3. Aaron Franklin's book says probe the thickest part of the flat and that the magic number is usually 203. I tried that, it made no difference, the flat was still dry and the point fell apart when slicing.
  4. Myron Mixon says he doesn't probe the flat, he probes the end of the point, and pulls when the point hits 205. That probably would fix my issues on the point, but when I tried it the flat didn't feel tender enough so I didn't pull it out of fear of my flat being too tough.
  5. I read somewhere that if cooking at higher temps, pull the brisket when the flat hits 190. I'm cooking at 275, and wondering if this is my issue. But at 190 the flat doesn't feel probe tender, although the point is probably perfect or just about. It seems that using this method would totally depend on the flat getting more tender during the rest period wrapped in foil and in a cooler... but I don't know.

So I guess the other question, is when it comes to the probe tenderness of the flat, is the "like a knife through warm butter" just an exaggeration that's not really accurate? My point feels that way for sure, but not the flat. I'm wondering if maybe that is the problem and I just don't really have the correct understanding of what I should really be feeling for with the flat.

If left to my own devices, my next attempt I would probably try fat side up so see if that changes anything, and try pulling somewhere between the point hitting 205 and the flat hitting 190. That will probably fix my issues with the point but might result in a really tough flat, or it might actually solve my problem... I don't know.

Anyways, sorry for the ridiculously long post, but I wanted to give as much information as possible.

Dry is undercooked - if it doesn't crumble when slicing it's Not OverDone.

Probe the Flat from the side in the Thickest part - Ignore the Point. And it's more like probing a Perfectly Done baked potato than Hot knife thru Butter........ Don't Worry about temp - can be 195-210*. Don't spritz every Hour - slows the cooking Process. Maybe try a Choice or even Select and see the difference - More Marbling = the More time it Needs........ I would wrap in Butcher paper at 4-5 hr Mark instead of Spritzing......... I usually don't wrap just cuz I'm Lazy but always think about it.

Last edited:
I keep it very simple...

Cook on the grate until the bark is the color that you want.
Wrap and cook until the thickest part of the of the flat is tender.

Using a specific temperature to determine doneness is unreliable since each piece of meat is different.

You mentioned that the flat is dry. Is it dry, but sliceable, or is it dry and falling apart? The first is undercooked, the second is overcooked.

I keep it very simple...

Cook on the grate until the bark is the color that you want.
Wrap and cook until the thickest part of the of the flat is tender.

Using a specific temperature to determine doneness is unreliable since each piece of meat is different.

You mentioned that the flat is dry. Is it dry, but sliceable, or is it dry and falling apart? The first is undercooked, the second is overcooked.

Dry is undercooked - if it doesn't crumble when slicing it's Not OverDone.

Probe the Flat from the side in the Thickest part - Ignore the Point. And it's more like probing a Perfectly Done baked potato than Hot knife thru Butter........ Don't Worry about temp - can be 195-210*. Don't spritz every Hour - slows the cooking Process. Maybe try a Choice or even Select and see the difference - More Marbling = the More time it Needs........ I would wrap in Butcher paper at 4-5 hr Mark instead of Spritzing......... I usually don't wrap just cuz I'm Lazy but always think about it.

I have cooked 5 briskets so far, the last of which the flat did start to crumble when I sliced it. The others did not and all were cooked to an IT of 205, actually the last one was 203 and it crumbled when sliced.

I'm also confused about ignoring the point, because I REALLY want slices off the point, but I can't seem to slice without it falling apart if I take the flat to 203 or higher. Is there something I'm missing here, like, will the point tighten up again if I keep it going while the flat comes up in temp? That wouldn't make much sense to me but at this point I don't know what to think.

Do not use WSM lid thermometer as a guide of cook temp. It is unreliable. Get a probe and monitor the grate temp. Stick a probe through a chunk of foil resting on the grate if need be. I wrap when flat is around 165. Probe is only way to tell if it's done, time doesn't work. Feels like knife in butter is real. Also like sticking in peanut butter.

I have cooked 5 briskets so far, the last of which the flat did start to crumble when I sliced it. The others did not and all were cooked to an IT of 205, actually the last one was 203 and it crumbled when sliced.

I'm also confused about ignoring the point, because I REALLY want slices off the point, but I can't seem to slice without it falling apart if I take the flat to 203 or higher. Is there something I'm missing here, like, will the point tighten up again if I keep it going while the flat comes up in temp? That wouldn't make much sense to me but at this point I don't know what to think.

Several of us say a Perfect brisket would be a Select point with a Prime Flat- but that doesn't exist. Try a Choice cut and try wrapping at 5-6 hr mark..........no spritzing........Points have a Larger Window of Done vs a Small Window on the Flat. Some guys get Brisket Down in 5-10 cooks - others like Me - 50. I smoked 1 every weekend for the 1st Year.........:twitch: - You may wanna try Not Injecting and see.........

You can Pull the Brisket and separate it after 5-6-7 hrs and wrap flat and put back in - Some Guys do this - I Don't..........or pull a lil Early and slice point and then slice the flat and pan it with a lil beef broth and put back in smoker or Oven for 1-1.5 hrs.

Some guys prefer the Point - Some the Flat - I prefer the Flat Sliced and chop the point and pick out all the fat............

Last edited:
Do not use WSM lid thermometer as a guide of cook temp. It is unreliable. Get a probe and monitor the grate temp. Stick a probe through a chunk of foil resting on the grate if need be. I wrap when flat is around 165. Probe is only way to tell if it's done, time doesn't work. Feels like knife in butter is real. Also like sticking in peanut butter.

I don't rely on the lid thermometer, I use a Fireboard ambient probe at grate level.

It sounds like your briskets have been over done. Crumbling flat slices and can’t slice the point = overdone to me. Yeah wrapping in butcher paper once you get the color you want and the bark set and I agree on the feeling a done flat...it’s more akin to a baked potato feel...a done point is like hot butter imo. Rest at least a couple hours if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Several of us say a Perfect brisket would be a Select point with a Prime Flat- but that doesn't exist. Try a Choice cut and try wrapping at 5-6 hr mark..........no spritzing........Points have a Larger Window of Done vs a Small Window on the Flat. Some guys get Brisket Down in 5-10 cooks - others like Me - 50. I smoked 1 every weekend for the 1st Year.........:twitch: - You may wanna try Not Injecting and see.........

You can Pull the Brisket and separate it after 5-6-7 hrs and wrap flat and put back in - Some Guys do this - I Don't..........or pull a lil Early and slice point and then slice the flat and pan it with a lil beef broth and put back in smoker or Oven for 1-1.5 hrs.

Some guys prefer the Point - Some the Flat - I prefer the Flat Sliced and chop the point and pick out all the fat............

I don't have easy access to choice. I can get prime at Costco, and Walmart has select.

I really don't want to separate the point and flat, but I can try wrapping and doing away with the spritz.

And Every brisket is Different - 2 Primes bought from the same bin - one can be drier than the other- and then there's the ole' Left handed or Right Handed brisket Conundrum...... :mrgreen:

I don't have easy access to choice. I can get prime at Costco, and Walmart has select.

I really don't want to separate the point and flat, but I can try wrapping and doing away with the spritz.

There's 37 ways to do it - just gotta Find what works for You .............More Cooks = More Better........

My Briskets are Slightly overcooked by some people standards - but that's How I like 'em - and I like BBQ Sauce (Stubbs Original)- Flat Slices with Sauce on a roll or bun with pickle n onions........

https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249991

:biggrin1:

Just keep cooking and try different things - but only small changes each time - and find what you like...........

Last edited:
Getting that "probe tender" feeling can be very difficult. Can I suggest you try smoking a few pork butts (as they are cheaper and easier to cook), and start probing it every hour after you hit 165 internal temp. This can give you a feel for how it will be tough, tough, less tough, getting there, almost there...and then bam : like butter!

I also separate the muscles because the point and flat usually won't cook at the same rate. I usually cook at 250° so when the flat is perfectly tender the point usually needs another 2-3 hours. I pop the flat into a warming box (or cooler wrapped in towels) and keep on cooking the point until I hit 205-210 and it probes tender.

Another technique for getting the feel of "probe tender" is to take a stick of room temp butter and put it on the table right next to your brisket. Take your thermometer probe and probe the butter a few times...get a feel for that. That's exactly what you're looking for in the flat. It should be like a hot knife through butter, and it should have just a slight tiny bit of resistance. I subscribe to the ideology of "over's beat unders" so I'd rather slightly overcook the meat than slightly undercook it. Undercooked brisket is tough, chewy, and dry. Overcooked brisket is juicy, tender, crumbly, and delicious.

You're going to get a bunch of different techniques requested to you here and I think most of them will work. The single most important thing is getting that probe tender feeling down...once that happens you can cook anything because you'll be able to assess when it's tender.

Good luck.

Only issue I see it's pulling at temp. I've never had any brisket where the flat is under cooked and the point is over cooked. First thing I would do is stop spritzing and start wrapping. Don't panic at the end of the cook. That's the biggest mistake we make when cooking our first few briskets. You'll get it. Just don't make 10 changes at once.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pics? I'd like a plate - just to do a thorough investigation - of course. That, and I'm hungry.

When Smitty says to ignore the point- he just means to pay attention to the flat- the point will (usually) take care of itself.

Do you let it sit off the heat any before you wrap in foil and give it a nap in the cooler?

Pulling at a particular temp is something I've never done. I may start probing at 203- but it's never done at a particular temperature. (Can't tell you exactly what mine finish at- the therm is off when probing)

After a couple brisket fails I switched to chuck roasts. Learning the ropes with a 20 dollar roast makes sense to me. After at least a year of chucks I tried brisket again...No problem...You'll get there. Just don't panic. It's just BBQ...

When you pull anything off, it will continue to cook some. Maybe the carry over it taking it to overdone?? Dunno. You don't wrap, so after it probes right, I'd plop it onto a couple sheets of foil, let it cool a bit, then wrap and rest. All of mine are wrapped after I hit the color I like. After it probes right, I have to vent it for 10-15 minutes sitting on the stove top, then wrap it back up, and drop it in the cooler to rest.

I don't know if this is the answer to your dilemma or not. But a vent before resting seems to be something that most report doing.

Brisket can be frustrating. Good luck to you.

Back