MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #241
Headgear
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Is Infernooo still around? I am new to the Brethren and have mostly just been reading things that I have been doing searches for but I hope he is still posting. I just love to read his stuff and we are trying some of the sauces this weekend. Hope they are good, they sure sound like they will be. The way he describes and rates them is good enough, let alone the fact that some gave up recipes that us backyarders may never have gotten a chance to enjoy anywhere else. Hats off to all of you!!!
Headgear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #242
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

You're welcome, and this is still one of my favorite threads... I'm glad to see it revived.

I haven't seen nor heard from infernooo in probably a year or more.

Mind you, he gave you one persons opinion, but after reading a few (before he did mine) I thought he seem pretty honest and fair. It's rare to see a detailed review like his.

I'll be competing on the 17th and 18th, using the recipe(s) that I posted and he judged... For me, it's been a while since I competed, mostly due to lack of money. We're back to competing when we can...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #243
Midnight Goat
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you for bumping this. Got a couple of sauces to try now :)
Midnight Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #244
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgear View Post
Is Infernooo still around? I am new to the Brethren and have mostly just been reading things that I have been doing searches for but I hope he is still posting. I just love to read his stuff and we are trying some of the sauces this weekend. Hope they are good, they sure sound like they will be. The way he describes and rates them is good enough, let alone the fact that some gave up recipes that us backyarders may never have gotten a chance to enjoy anywhere else. Hats off to all of you!!!
Infernooo's was last active on forum December of last year. I too hope he shows back up and continues this thread.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #245
Headgear
Full Fledged Farker

Lake Dogs, if you are still looking, my wife and I are trying your sauce today. just received my first batch of Blues Hog and ready to go. I just got a new Stump Classic and got her fired up at 5:30 this morning and have some butt a'cookin' and ribs ready to throw on later. We have friends and neighbors coming and we are going to be cooking over the fire pit also. Hate days like this... NOT!!!

Thanks again for sharing your recipe. I can't wait.

We are going to the first competition in Cincinnati next weekend. Not competing, just showing admiration, brain picking and such. Wish you were going to that one, I would look you up and shake your hand. Do you ever get up this way while competing? Anyway, I will give you a full report on how everyone liked the sauce here. Good luck, hope you guys are the Grand Champions. Knock Them Out!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #246
Lake Dogs

Thanks, and good luck to you guys! I had a dear friend parents living in the Cincinnati area, but they died a few years back and we haven't been back...

The Blues Hog is awesome, but it's just so strong. Using my more plain sauce to "tame it down" quite a bit works pretty well. We still go with 2 sauces; the rib sauce significantly less BH Tennessee Red. My more plain sauce isn't bad, and I'd used it on ribs and chicken a few times a long time ago and did pretty well (3rds and 5ths), but it definitely needs a little "pick me up".

Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #247
Headgear
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, here are the results from yesterdays cook with five different sauces. We had Lake Dog's base sauce, base sauce with Blues Hog 2/1 original/Tenn Red for ribs, base sauce with BH 1/1 original/Tenn Red for pork and beef, Gixxer's Still House Sauce from this thread and at the last minute, my dad called and said I have a recipe from back in the sixties that you should try called Texas BBQ sauce from some old cookbook called Bradley's Guide to Outdoor Cooking. So we made that one also.

We had ribs, pulled pork, chicken and pork chops. All cooked to perfection I might add. Ha! Anyway, I tried to get everyone's opinion on what they liked and it went pretty much like this: The Texas BBQ sauce was surprisingly good but we agreed that it would be much better on beef than pork and we were not to shocked about that. It was very mild and has coffee in it which I loved. I thought that it may even be good as an injection for beef. Understand that I am a backyard, green horn compared to a lot of you guys so stop the snickering Okay, the Still House sauce was excellent. For some reason my wife could not get Jack Daniel's in time so she used Jim Beam. It was very sweet and went very well with ribs and pork and I am sure it would be great on chicken also. It will be a sauce that we will be having again for sure.

Now Lake Dogs, What is your Problem making something like that? That stuff is magic!!! We all tasted the straight BH original and the TR and we all pretty much had the same reaction. The original was over the top sweet and the taste of cloves is heavy. Strong stuff! We all thought the TR was better and could see how it would be better on pork but still some pretty potent stuff. We had so many sauces that none of us tried either of the BH alone on pork.

Your base sauce was good but as you said, it needs something to give it a boost. She made both sauces with the base and we tasted them. Matter of fact, my brother in law and I were outside doing something and she called us in and said you got to taste this, its pretty good. Just taking a spoon and tasting it, it was much better than the straight BH. A lot of the spicy bite and sweetness was tamed down and I thought good, this should be pretty good on pork for sure. But just tasting bare sauces on a spoon I thought that Gixxer's was going to be the best. I was really kind of wondering what Infernooo was so impressed with.

Holy Moo Cow! I don't know what in the world happens to that stuff when it hits pork but thoughts of laying down and rolling in it crossed my mind. I ate a pretty good deal more than I should have, that's for sure. You hit the nail on the head IMO when you said this doesn't mask the meat but compliments it. It's one of those perfect taste combinations to me like strawberries and shortcake or beacon and tomato. It's just right. Thanks again for sharing your recipe. It will be one that I am sure will be used around here for quite some time.

BTW, Hats off to all of you guys. This is why I love this site I am Joe nobody out in Indiana farm country and would never have the pleasure of sharing something so good with all our friends and family if it weren't for you. It cracks me up that some guy, somewhere on another continent on the other side of the world had the cahoonies (check spelling later) to start a thread that got him so ridiculed at the beginning and did such an enormous amount of work, and some guys somewhere in Georgia said "what the heck, we will share our recipe and see how it does", and we all get to try something outstanding and share it with our friends. How does it get any better than that? Love it.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I gotta get outside and cut firewood for next weeks cook. You all have a great day.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #248
Lake Dogs

I am SO glad you liked it. Yeah, we didnt get to this from our own "minds", it's a result of 2 very large sauce tasting parties WITH pork (not just tasting sauce alone). Funnier still, we all took bets on what would win; we ALL lost.

Combining the two parties, we probably tasted 33 base sauces. There were 2 others we liked ok, but my bland one still had its merits, particularly because while it had sweet in it, it was more fruity than actually sweet. BH of course each had there merits, but were just overkill. When we started mixing and matching, we had the same thing happen, the HOLY COW what is this?!?! It works WELL in competitions too. I've only used it twice, and while we didnt GC, we were in the top 4 both times against extremely competitive fields, and I'm not sure we were 4th because of taste... (meaning, I think the sauce did what we wanted it to do, perfectly)

I dont know why. I think the thinner sauce of mine is thin enough to let the other BBQ taste shine through, but it just needs a little "pick me up". Adjust in the wonderfulness of BH and *poof* that seemed to do it.

Like I said, we had these parties on purpose to do this very thing (find the best sauce that compliments the meat without masking it), but had no idea which sauces would win...

Funny; now my best friend likes to eat sauce straight up on the side...

Really, good luck with it!!! PM me with your results. I'd enjoy it.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #249
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks to Infernoo and headgear,

I was hesitant to try and make these due to many other previous disappointments I had tried.

I will try these next weekend, and thanks for giving me the nudge over the edge.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #250
mcease
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : mcease

I read through this entire thread a while back and love it! Lake Dogs I wanted to try your sauce, but Im not able to get a hold of all of the ingredients. Are there other brands you could recommend for the sauce? Also I cant get my hands on Blues Hog because I am from Canada and we dont have a great selection here. Is there another sauce that I can use or a homemade that I can sub for Blues Hog?
mcease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #251
Lake Dogs

We dont have it here, either. I've had to purchase it online.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #252
mcease
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
We dont have it here, either. I've had to purchase it online.
I didnt check yet but do you think it would be a problem substituting another brand for the tomato sauce, cane syrup, and grape jelly? I hope I get them here but I am not sure if I will be able to find them.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #253
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcease View Post
I read through this entire thread a while back and love it! Lake Dogs I wanted to try your sauce, but Im not able to get a hold of all of the ingredients. Are there other brands you could recommend for the sauce? Also I cant get my hands on Blues Hog because I am from Canada and we dont have a great selection here. Is there another sauce that I can use or a homemade that I can sub for Blues Hog?
Here is the blues hog website...
www.blueshog.com/website/products.html

It is available from CanadaQ.com website below...
http://canadaq.ca/shop-here-2/#!/~/s...sort=relevance

Also Amazon ships to Canada
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #254
mcease
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Here is the blues hog website...
www.blueshog.com/website/products.html

It is available from CanadaQ.com website below...
http://canadaq.ca/shop-here-2/#!/~/s...sort=relevance

Also Amazon ships to Canada
Thanks! I'll get some from CanadaQ.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #255
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcease View Post
I didnt check yet but do you think it would be a problem substituting another brand for the tomato sauce, cane syrup, and grape jelly? I hope I get them here but I am not sure if I will be able to find them.
The grape jelly and the cane syrup; probably not vendor specific. Get what you can.

The tomato sauce, if you can't find Contadina, I chose it for its low sugar, low sodium, and because it's thin. Early on I'd used WalMart brand. It doesn't change the taste as much as it was slightly thicker and had little "bits" in it... I'd stay away from the Hunts; Heinz wasnt too bad as I recall...

Thanks from:--->