• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicagoland non-sanctioned charity comp

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was asked to judge this event, but had to decline as we will be in Door County, in the land of cheese, cooking for freinds!

This is a sort of back-yard event that is trying to raise a few bucks for Scottie Johnson's charity foundation, CancerSucksChicago.com

It is NOT sanctioned or sponsored by Scottie, just a bunch of well meaning folks trying to raise some money for a good cause. Here are the details....

1st Annual Boondocks BBQ Bash
A Benefit for CANCER SUCKS CHICAGO “CORLISS JOHNSON MEMORIAL FOUNDATION”
www.corlissfoundation.com

Please join us in helping one of our own and a very deserving
Foundation on August 16th by participating in the 1st Annual Corliss Johnson Foundation Cook-off.

When: Saturday August 16th
Sausage, Chicken, Ribs

Where: 1200 West Hawthorne Lane West Chicago, Il 60185
www.downattheboondocks.com

Entry Fee: $60.00 per Team

Prizes: 1-3 Ribs, 1-3 Chicken, 1-3 Sausage
Grand Champion

Provided Water, Ice, Limited Electric
5 acre beer garden, Live bands all weekend,
Pig Roast.

Sponsor Jim Beam

Please help us help the Johnson’s Fight Cancer, To Enter please e-mail me at RNUNES9457@AOL.com. Or Call at
630-440-3045

Scottie, although appreciative of the effort, was rather insistent in saying he really isn't involved in the organization or execution of this, but I think anything that can help out his cause is time well spent!

Thanks,
Dan

i got an email from the guy ramrodding this saying that the comp wasnt gonna happen because of lack of teams. So is the comp on or off?

I have not heard anything Bill. As of yesterday it was all a go, so not sure which email you got. Maybe forward it to me?...

To clarify, as I have received a couple of emails from some folks. My foundation (which is a 501c(3)) is completely separate from my BBQ Team. My BBQ team happens to donate all of it's profits to the foundation I started in my wife's memory after she passed away from cancer. So while they are not one in the same. And trust me when I say, that the IRS will tell me that too, as they really like to audit 501 c(3) foundations.

I have not heard anything Bill. As of yesterday it was all a go, so not sure which email you got. Maybe forward it to me?...

ill see if i still have it..it was from the guy that was walking around at Westmont. I told him I would judge if he needed judges. Anyway I got an email not too long ago from the same guy saying it wasnt happening due to lack of teams. I also got an email from Keith saying his email " was to get everyones email addresses" for the organizer of this contest. Bottom line is that communications on this have not been good and very confusing to say the least. Its a shame since it is for a very good cause Scottie.
Again ill see if i didnt delete the email and send it to you ..as it sits I now have two store demos setup for that weekend now since I thought it was a no go

I talked to the organizer this morning and it's all systems go. Some of the information on the sign-up sheet that was sent out will be changing. But basically it will be pull in/registration between 6-8 am on Saturday. Turn-ins will be around 2 pm Saturday afternoon. Plenty of time to cook some ribs, chicken and sausage... They will have ice, water and some limited power for those that might need it.

It should be a cool time, as he has bands, beer garden and some pretty cool sponsors already lined up.

first im hearing this Scottie anyway I hope its a success

I was hesitant to put it up here till I checked with Scottie, and still didn't till I heard from Ron from the Elk Grove comp, who sent the details I posted above.

I tried to be clear in the post that it wasn't directly connected to Scottie or his foundation. Does sound like it might be fun though. Sorry we'll be in teh land of cheese that weekend!

This place is very close to and might even be the same location as the original KCBS Illinois State Championship held back in 1991. It was called King James back then. Anyone know if it's the same place?

Yes, same place Ray. 5 acre beer garden... I have a feeling I might be staying Saturday night...

Wow! That's a historic BBQ place. What you now know as Shannon started there 17 years ago. Here I am cooking a turkey that won me my first ever BBQ trophy that day. I met Mike Lake, Ed Roith, Fast Eddy, John Beadle, Paul Schatte, Roger Wagner, Carolyn Wells, Bill Pittman, Tom Wallace, Jim Burns (who was the proprietor and started it all in Illinois) and a lot of other people in that parking lot. Have one for me!

Attachments

• Pictures part 2 027.jpg
    Pictures part 2 027.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 64
In Manhattan those peepers are back in style ! hope ya kept them

Wow! That's a historic BBQ place. What you now know as Shannon started there 17 years ago. Here I am cooking a turkey that won me my first ever BBQ trophy that day. I met Mike Lake, Ed Roith, Fast Eddy, John Beadle, Paul Schatte, Roger Wagner, Carolyn Wells, Bill Pittman, Tom Wallace, Jim Burns (who was the proprietor and started it all in Illinois) and a lot of other people in that parking lot. Have one for me!

How about we have a few for you and to the history of comp bbq in Illinois. Almost coming full circle... Should be a good time and hopefully we can raise some money for cancer research...

Separated at Birth

Were these Chicagoans Separated at Birth ? You Decide
seperated.jpg

2 good looking guys... No wonder the ladies love us... :oops:

How about we have a few for you and to the history of comp bbq in Illinois. Almost coming full circle... Should be a good time and hopefully we can raise some money for cancer research...

Great history! we just came back from a family trip into Kentucky and I'm catching up on everything. Scottie, do you know who's cooking and what the rules are? (Yeah, I know you;re not running the thing, but I thought that maybe you knew).

I wondered what had become of cousin Oliver.

Attachments

• Cousin_Oliver.jpg
    Cousin_Oliver.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 49
Great history! we just came back from a family trip into Kentucky and I'm catching up on everything. Scottie, do you know who's cooking and what the rules are? (Yeah, I know you;re not running the thing, but I thought that maybe you knew).

I've heard back from a few people that I know for sure are cooking it. The usual suspects from our area.

I believe that chicken will be 2:30, ribs 3:00 and sausage at 3:30... They will be folling the basic KCBS rules... I am assuming that he will have the styro containers, but will make sure of that. I told him to keep it simple and it make sit easier in the long run...

Back