lowest safe cooking temp

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Over Thanksgiving I smoked a turkey and it turned out pretty great. I had some problems with my temperatures and ended up finishing it in the oven but it was a great first turkey.

As I was talking to a friend of mine he mentioned he smoked his turkey on 150 for about 20 hours. I was always told this is too low and could allow harmful bacteria to develop. What is the lowest cooking temperature that is safe to cook?

150 is jerky makin temps I bet that was a real moist bird :roll: I don't do any meats below 225 and that is where I run bacon but I only take it to 150 IT everything else some where north of 300.

Minimum internal temp for poultry is 165. That's going to be tough to reach with a cook temp of 150. :crazy:

Cook temp and internal temp are only parts of the equation for food safety when it comes to poultry or any other meat for that matter. 40-140 is the danger zone for food when it comes to the ability of pathogens to multiply rapidly. The longer food stays in that temperature range the more dangerous it is. Anything in that range for longer than 2 hours is dangerous.

You sure he is not Canadian

150 celsius = 302 fahrenheit

BS - you can not reach an internal temp higher than your cooking temp.

I will sometimes start beef and pork at 180, poultry never gets below 250 for me. I know others do it lower, but I want the outside to get over 140 ASAP. The only time I would go below 180 is for cured meats.

When I confronted him about it his comment was "Anything above 200 is just bbqing". I didn't feel like explaining anything more to him. I only posted it here for my own curiosity.

When I confronted him about it his comment was "Anything above 200 is just bbqing". I didn't feel like explaining anything more to him...

Good move.

"It is useless to try to reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into." --Jonathan Swift

I will sometimes start beef and pork at 180, poultry never gets below 250 for me. I know others do it lower, but I want the outside to get over 140 ASAP. The only time I would go below 180 is for cured meats.

This is exactly what I was thinking and gonna reply with, thanks.

I read in a couple charcuterie books that 180F was the minimum cooking temp for non cured meats.

Thats just some of the oddest chit I have heard on here in awhile.
..............but the fellas are right about that temp. no bueno. :nono:

Yea.. That's begging for food poisoning. Especially with poultry. You shouldn't have any uncured food in the danger zone of 40-140 for longer than 3 hours tops. Was he cooking a science experiment, or just trying to kill his in laws? Not to mention after 20 hours he still had an undercooked bird. Total BS

Yea he has to be lying.. lowest actually cooking temp i have seen is 200 and thats crazy to me too lol

sous-vide chicken

20100413-Sous-vide-chicken-chart.jpg

Back